Some advice on lens please

photo_passion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys:

I am an amateur photographer (kind of starting).

I bought a Nikon D60 and have only one lens (a 18-55mm).

My first objective even with this just semi pro equipment is to take pictures of people at resonable short range... like family pics for example, both only face or full body...

Problem: I get some really amazing pics if very close to the target, or using zoom into the face only... The image quality is great, impressive.

But if I get back a bit to take a full body pic, with some environment around... than the image quality becomes the one of a pocket camera... nothing impressive... nothing appealing.

I tried all possible configurations, I read about all modes, experiment everything, but the results dont make much progress... its just some average quality in the end.

Is it the lens I am using? Would you suggest buying some different lens?

Thanks

Well I'm only learning myself, but judging by browsing around and reading up I would say you need a lens with a longer focal length..
I'm sure one of the many experts on this site will help you, so look to them for exactly what length you'd need for short portrait shots.. How far away from the people are you standing when you take a full body shot? This may help them in judging what lens you should buy.

Hope that helps

Thank you guys,

So here are examples of what I want (actually maybe at a little bit more distance from the person).

MODEL CAREER (The enchanted forest ) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Model Shoot - Joellen on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Chiara model 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Model: Elsa on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

----------

I can only make good photos, if the picture is completely filled with a all face or the all body with no sorrounding (the face or body takes the all space)... not so much like in the examples above...

This kind of quality, I find it very easy to do...

http://photo.net/general-comments/attachment/13362807/father.jpg

Post some examples of the problem you are seeing, then we can tell you what the deal is.
Post one of the closeups that you believe looks good and then one of the further away ones you think you are having the problem with.

The detail in your closeup shot looks fine, as you said, now post one of the bad ones.

From what you said and what you want, the problem isn't necessarily the lens(es) but rather lack of lighting.
If you want to obtain great results learn lighting.
Other then strobist, look into Portrait Lighting to learn portrait lighting.

Yep. In many of the examples you posted the photographer used off camera lighting on the subject. The light adds depth and separation from the background.

Most reactions

Back