Some candid action shots

G. Ike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
I am new to photographing people so I thought I would attempt some candid shots instead of posing people for my first real attempt at people photography. This pictures were taken at the Klecknersville Rangers Volunteer Fire Company Boy Scout weekend in Bath, Pennsylvania a few weeks ago. They were doing a contest with a few different games. In the first one they were using fire helmets to fill up a wastebasket underneath a gutter by throwing the water on the roof and letting it run into the gutter. The next was an obstacle course and the last was the coolest. It's called the barrel slide and there is a barrel suspended on a wire in between two poles and 2 teams stand at either pole with a fire hose trying to spray the barrel all the way to the other pole. My troop came in first place in that competition :). Anyway, these are some of the better shots from the weekend and any comments or critique would be great! Thanks in advance,

George

DSCF6167.jpg

DSCF6149.jpg

DSCF6173.jpg

DSCF6193.jpg

DSCF6205.jpg

*mumbles* Do you think you could resize those? Firefox is having a hard time chewing through those images on my compy. :(

not firefox, just your internet... works fine for me, but i agree, resize your images, i tend to stick to about 1080x750, it then removes any blur you might have (assuming it is subtle) and decreases the amount of visible noise

For me, when i do anything that has action, it helps to anticipate whats going to happen so you are ready. I think you have some good overall timing, but what would make these photos really something is if, for example, in #3 if you would have zoomed in on the boy putting the hat on full of water and he was the center and main focus of the shot. Same with #1, and a shot taken from the side of the kid throwing the water. However it does no good to say what u should have done on these, cuz u cant go back and re do these exact moments. In the future, attempt to predict, try some different angles and pick something specific to zoom in on and focus on. Sometimes crowd and actions shots are very unique and the crowd adds to the overall greatness of a pic, but both need to be pulling their own weight, and the crowd doesnt seem to be doing anything too interesting in these

#2 is great except that the kids getting the water are out of focus and the crowd is in focus.

Overall I think you have some good timing, your angles, focus, and your composition could use some more practcing. I have to give you props for doing something different and using water :) Im a sucker for photos with any sort of water or movement!

Hey guys,
I apologize about the obnoxiously large images. I uploaded these to Photobucket using the 1MB file size and I forgot just how large the pictures would be. I'll resize them soon. Thanks for the constructive criticism and advice MyaLover! I had fun shooting these and next time I have the opportunity to shoot something like this I will think more about the overall composition of the image as opposed to only including the awesome water movement haha.

you have a real eye for capturing moments in time, every picture i've seen on here from you i've thoroughly enjoyed. keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back