Some black and white tinkering

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Like many people most of my photography is point and shoot snapshot type photos. But occasionally I will remind myself that I paid good money for all these whiz-bang and whirly gig features, so why not try them.

All of these were shot in color and converted to black and white post process. They are pretty much as shot with post processing used to crop and adjust exposure contrast similar to variable contrast photo paper.

The first shot is a bell the objective was two use the depth of field to slightly blur the background. Bokeh seems to be all the rage today, but I find it can be distracting. My preference is a soften but still recognizable background. Shot at f5.6, 1/80, ISO 250.

The second shot was my first attempt to capture fire in black and white. It reminded me of shooting moving water. Do you stop motion with a fast shutter or show some fluidity with a slower shutter speed? Shot at f2.8, 1/30, ISO 100.

The third shot is one of my standard views, I use this swing because it is in my backyard and I use it as a reference for my experiments with both film and digital. This shot was unusual because we had high winds followed in a few days by a heavy wet snow. Hence all the surface debris from the branches and twigs that were blown down, coupled with the thick snow build up on the swing. Shot f9, 1/250, ISO 100.

The forth shot is one of my favorite black and white subjects, paths in the woods. This was taken in the autumn. Shot f2.8, 1/30, ISO.

The purpose of this post is two fold, one to obtain comments and advise on the picture and two, to encourage folks to switch of "Auto" and twist a few dials.

Attachments

• Bell.jpg
    Bell.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Fire pit.jpg
    Fire pit.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Swing in winter.jpg
    Swing in winter.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Tim's path.jpg
    Tim's path.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 233
I`m liking the Swing in winter the most, all good shots but I do love a snow shot in B&W.

The purpose of this post is two fold, one to obtain comments and advise on the picture and two, to encourage folks to switch of "Auto" and twist a few dials.

This is something I don't understand. I see many, many people with very expensive cameras and the dial is always set to Auto. I admit to having fallen off that cliff previously, but now I shoot almost 100% in full manual. I did take some sunsets recently where I was testing the sweet spot in a couple of lenses, and so I switched to Aperture to make it simpler. And, when I go to the airshow this year I'll use Shutter when I have to. Other than that I choose the settings. Yes I have failures (more than I care to discuss), but at least I know when there's success it was me and not the camera.

My camera has a couple of neat features, in one called 'handheld nightshot' the camera shoots a short burst and stacks them to achieve correct exposure. The number of frames seems to vary based on available light. It works very well. Then there are the typical filters, like single color and everything else is B&W. I don't use these much because they only work in JPEG and I prefer RAW. I do this because again, I am forcing myself to learn and practice proper processing. Comparing my efforts to the camera's processing abilities can be very revealing. Even if the JPEG is acceptable as a final product, I like to challenge myself to duplicate it from time to time.

I salute your efforts to shut off auto, but I challenge you to leave it off in all but the most critical cases. It's fun!

I like the swing too. The others are nice, but fire in B&W can be kind of bland. I like the capture though, that single piece of flame separated from the main body is cool. Would like to see it in color!

I have been mightily guilty of the 'auto monster" myself.

Back in the late film days (I cant believe I said that) the use of film was so cheap that one could blow a hundred rolls with only 2-3 really nice shots.
Today its all electrons and its even worse!
The camera does all the leg work based on a set of perimeters set by someone else.

But it also takes not only practice, but commitment on one's self and discipline to do that as well.

Back in the late film days (I cant believe I said that) the use of film was so cheap that one could blow a hundred rolls with only 2-3 really nice shots.

That was my downfall. I think I said this in my introduction post, but back 'in the day' I bought a Minolta Maxxum 7000 right after it was introduced. It was the first full-auto (including focus) consumer camera on the market. After having spent so much $ on it, using the camera's abilities instead of mine was only natural. It was a sudden slip down a steep slope, and I'm still recovering!

This is something I don't understand. I see many, many people with very expensive cameras and the dial is always set to Auto. I admit to having fallen off that cliff previously, but now I shoot almost 100% in full manual. I did take some sunsets recently where I was testing the sweet spot in a couple of lenses, and so I switched to Aperture to make it simpler. And, when I go to the airshow this year I'll use Shutter when I have to. Other than that I choose the settings.

You seem to be equating the semi-auto modes P, S, A into your blanket term Auto. I use my cameras nearly 100% in Program mode and I am in no way compromised in controlling my cameras relative to someone using the camera in Manual. In fact I rather like how my Canon G7's Program mode echoes the EV lock of my old Hasselblad 500CM -- feels familiar.

Joe

Yes I have failures (more than I care to discuss), but at least I know when there's success it was me and not the camera.

My camera has a couple of neat features, in one called 'handheld nightshot' the camera shoots a short burst and stacks them to achieve correct exposure. The number of frames seems to vary based on available light. It works very well. Then there are the typical filters, like single color and everything else is B&W. I don't use these much because they only work in JPEG and I prefer RAW. I do this because again, I am forcing myself to learn and practice proper processing. Comparing my efforts to the camera's processing abilities can be very revealing. Even if the JPEG is acceptable as a final product, I like to challenge myself to duplicate it from time to time.

I salute your efforts to shut off auto, but I challenge you to leave it off in all but the most critical cases. It's fun!

I like the swing too. The others are nice, but fire in B&W can be kind of bland. I like the capture though, that single piece of flame separated from the main body is cool. Would like to see it in color!

I have shot a LOT of film, and a lot of digital photos, using Nikon's excellent Aperture priority mode.

I normally shoot in Aperture mode lately, with an occasional shutter at air shows and racetracks also when I am shooting with my bigger lens. If I'm using the Lensbaby, it is always Manual.

You seem to be equating the semi-auto modes P, S, A into your blanket term Auto. I use my cameras nearly 100% in Program mode and I am in no way compromised in controlling my cameras relative to someone using the camera in Manual. In fact I rather like how my Canon G7's Program mode echoes the EV lock of my old Hasselblad 500CM -- feels familiar.

Joe

No confusion on my part. Any mode besides manual is an automatic mode in some form or another. It may not be "the" Auto mode, but now we're debating nomenclature. If the camera is making choices instead of me, there's automation involved. There's nothing wrong with shooting in any of the modes and that's not the intent of my comment. I agree that there are uses for each, I stated some above. But for the purposes of being in manual mode there's only one. If someone is learning how to set up the camera for specific situations and the camera keeps making decisions, even some of the decisions, that's an automatic mode.

I know guys that shoot almost 100% in aperture, and they're way better that I'll ever be. That doesn't change the mechanics of the camera.

Joe

No confusion on my part. Any mode besides manual is an automatic mode in some form or another. It may not be "the" Auto mode, but now we're debating nomenclature. If the camera is making choices instead of me, there's automation involved. There's nothing wrong with shooting in any of the modes and that's not the intent of my comment. I agree that there are uses for each, I stated some above. But for the purposes of being in manual mode there's only one. If someone is learning how to set up the camera for specific situations and the camera keeps making decisions, even some of the decisions, that's an automatic mode.

I know guys that shoot almost 100% in aperture, and they're way better that I'll ever be. That doesn't change the mechanics of the camera.

Do you use or reference the meter in your camera? What metering mode? Do you adjust SS & f/stop in reference to the meter's indication?

Joe

Yes, always. I try to keep ISO as I've chosen, (just a holdover from when you couldn't change it (film)) but will change it when conditions dictate. I also use a gray card if needed, and if I don't have it with me I try to find something in that range to meter. I also shoot a Pentax K-1000 from time to time.

Yes, always. I try to keep ISO as I've chosen, (just a holdover from when you couldn't change it (film)) but will change it when conditions dictate. I also use a gray card if needed, and if I don't have it with me I try to find something in that range to meter. I also shoot a Pentax K-1000 from time to time.

"Yes, always" isn't too specific but I'll assume that means you do use the camera's internal light meter. Metering mode? Your G7 has three: multiple, center-weighted, and spot.

Joe

Sorry, I missed that part. Usually center weighted.

What is the intent of your query, and how does it relate to my comments?

Most reactions

Back