Some close ups for review

tripwater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now although I don't have any macro lenses I read about a technique using a reversing ring (of which I do not have) so I took a calculated risk and just flipped the lens around and held it against the camera body for these shots. I later learned this is not a good idea and puts your camera's inner workings at risk so I stopped doing this. But here are some shots I took with EOS 20D and Canon 50mm lens with 4x close up ring while turning the lens around.

Again thanks for taking the time to give any pointers!

A.
3977121980_68c0d372e6.jpg

B.
3976359069_bf2e7a65cc.jpg

C.
3977121938_b40fa67848.jpg

D.
3976359049_8e48911e38.jpg

E.
3977121894_5ec714089d.jpg

F.
3977121878_7fd2d0b9ef.jpg

G.
3976359023_e824495ef3.jpg

H.
3977121752_026eda6978.jpg

I.
3977121770_0ab01811ae.jpg

J. Had trash on lens :(
3977121860_7bd7a14f26.jpg

K.
3977121826_f6156cf840.jpg

L.
3976358969_0f3bc5e3ff.jpg

M.
3976358931_c6c061b478.jpg

N.
3976358899_5ef839b654.jpg

Haha I've never seen anyone list them by letter! Hey, what ever works right. I think they're alright but nothing special. The last one (N) is kinda creative.

Haha I've never seen anyone list them by letter! Hey, what ever works right. I think they're alright but nothing special. The last one (N) is kinda creative.

Crap :) I had a 50/50 chance on the letter or numbers! So I will use numbers next time :D

I think they're alright but nothing special.
Well I am very very new to this so I would love to get more than this as a reply. I would like some input as to why they are not special and how I could make the shots better. It is why I am here. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Crap :) I had a 50/50 chance on the letter or numbers! So I will use numbers next time :D

I think they're alright but nothing special.
Well I am very very new to this so I would love to get more than this as a reply. I would like some input as to why they are not special and how I could make the shots better. It is why I am here. :mrgreen:

Thanks.
Hey just because most use numbers doesn't mean you have to! It's original! As far as the pics go, I just feel that they aren't "macro" enough for using a 4x reverse lens converter. Most of those shots I could have gotten with my 100mm macro lens. Keep it going though, macro is really fun because it pics things up that your eye doesn't normally see since it's so small.

I totally agree they are not true macro. It is why in most cases I just say close up shots when I can. I do not own a macro lens yet. Nor a reversing ring. I took the lens off and turned it around and held it to get those shots.

I can't wait until I get my camera and the equipment I want! An ongoing journey.

Thanks for the reply

looks like some of them you may have missed the focus by a little bit..

what do you mean you could mess up the camera interior? why is that? doesn't a reverse ring just hold ur lens there anyways?

I like Photos F and N. The focus is a bit off for F. I think the focus should be on the eye and not the body. N is just cool looking. =)

looks like some of them you may have missed the focus by a little bit..

what do you mean you could mess up the camera interior? why is that? doesn't a reverse ring just hold ur lens there anyways?

Well as stated earlier, I don't have the reverse ring to actually mount the lens to the camera in reverse securely. I was holding the lens up to the body. I was told by another photographer that leaving the opening exposed for an extended period of time and holding the lens up to it as I was and not securely fastening the lens to the body increases the risk of debris into the camera body ( not to mention the potential to scratch the lens if my hand slipped). I was very careful but still not a recommended technique :p

On the note of focusing, There was no easy way to do what I was doing and get accurate results. I was holding the camera and the lens separate and since the lens was not attached, I had to focus moving in and out with my body and as you well know, when you get that close a gnat's fart puts you out of focus. Using the method above, I consider any of these shots to be mostly luck in the timing.

Thanks for the focus points! I was not happy with the one on the eye either. I REALLY wanted that thing in focus but again, my movement gave me the results you see now. I can't wait to get the right equipment and do it the right way! :D

Oh and thanks on the comments on N. It is the bulb in my bathroom.

Last edited:
a gnat's fart puts you out of focus

lol

nah i understand... ghetto rigged...

go get a reverseal ring!... i think i'm gonna go pick one up this weekend to try this out as well... i think they are only like 10 bucks or so?...

First thing's first! I got to get a camera first. I was using my roommate's which is another god reason not to risk the 'ghetto rigging' :)

Most reactions

Back