Some cloudscapes

viper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been into photography for about 6 months with my own camera, but I have a great teacher so learning the 'ropes' as they say hasn't been very hard. Now I think it's just a matter of practicing and seeing how that book knowledge of F-stops and ISO's is used to make a good photo. Anyway I've always found myself looking at clouds, so I of course enjoy shooting them. Here's some of my shots, please give me your opinions and critique.

clouds3.jpg

ISO 100, F/8 at 1/400th of a second.
wavyclouds.jpg

ISO 100, F/3.2 at 1/400th of a second.
clouds1.jpg

ISO 100, F/4.5 at 1/1000 of a second.

Oh BTW I wasn't quite sure where I should post these, but nature & wildlife seemed appropriate since clouds are natural lol, but if the mods would prefer it somewhere else feel free to move it. :wink:

'tis OK here, I should think! :D

Welcome to the world of photography, welcome to ThePhotoForum!

There's some nice pics here.
I best like 2 and almost pity the fact that it gets squeezed into two other cloudscapes when I myself would really like to see 2 on its own. Just as it is.

Other than that, and after having pointed out 2 as my personal favourite here, I usually like sky photos to have a kind of "anchor" and show some of the earth below, too. Which is why I tend to think that 1 could have shown even more of that (or none at all), to become less abstract.

But 2 is wonderfully abstract and can serve as a nice background to many a thing.

I love clouds too!!

May I offer up a suggestion? I think there is more of an impact when you are able to capture *more* sky....and not so much "a" cloud or two! ;)

I hope to see more!

:D

'tis OK here, I should think! :D

Welcome to the world of photography, welcome to ThePhotoForum!

There's some nice pics here.
I best like 2 and almost pity the fact that it gets squeezed into two other cloudscapes when I myself would really like to see 2 on its own. Just as it is.

Other than that, and after having pointed out 2 as my personal favourite here, I usually like sky photos to have a kind of "anchor" and show some of the earth below, too. Which is why I tend to think that 1 could have shown even more of that (or none at all), to become less abstract.

But 2 is wonderfully abstract and can serve as a nice background to many a thing.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Yeah I probably would have included more 'Earth' in the 1st like you said but the Earth underneath this particular area was less than photogenic lol so I opted not to. Thanks for the compliments on 2, for some reason I've looked at that photo before and thought it kind of looks like a picture taken from orbit, with the blue being an ocean bellow instead of the sky. Maybe that's just me though haha :)

Last edited:
I like your approach here. So many landscapes contain awesome and interesting cloud formations that often go unnoticed because of the "land" that is in the picture. And like the other posters said, 2 is a great stand alone shot.

I do not understand composition in the first image, but the other two are nice :)

The last one looks like a bird of prey.

Most reactions

Back