Some confusion, use of Holga 120 film advice neeeded!

rottontom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I've recently purchased a Holga 120CFN, and loaded it with Kodak Portra 400 120 film. I've never used 120 film before so I don't really know how it works. I wanted square images so I took the mask out of the camera before loading, and then took a full roll of exposures by lining the numbers on the film up in the middle of the red screen and then shooting and winding again, up to 16, before winding it up and taking the spool out.

Is this correct? I just had a thought that the size of exposure I'm taking (6x6 rather than 4.5x6) might not fit on the film in 16 exposures if you understand, so I fear the edges will have overlapped? Is this true? Have I just ruined a roll then? Or will it be possible for a lab to develop it somehow?

Thanks a lot!

Tom

OK, I've just realised ~I was very foolish and should have moved the number indicator to the 12 section, not have the opening next to the 12. SHould have worked that out when I got to '13' ...

Will a Lab be able to develop that as 4.5x6 images? I think the overlap could be quite cool, as the reason I bought the camera was to have very different images to the usual ...

at 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 you will only get 12 shots on a roll of 120 film.

the lab will be able to develop the film regardless of how you set the mask, the issue will become any over lapping and if the machine doesn't recognize what has been done and just cuts the film at the standard size which is 6x6 . be sure to tell them what you have done. Or better yet, tell them not to cut the roll and then you do it yourself when you get the film back.

I guess I'll just let them know and see how they come out? I want them printed as well as processed so it's not a case of me developing it myself.

Even if the machine cuts at 6x6 I might get one or two that accidentally end up looking really good!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back