Some Days....

photogoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.trueblueintimates.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It just sucks to be the boss. Tomorrow I have to fire an employee that is a nice guy that just can't get his act together. I've tried and tried to help him but he just doesn't get it. To make matters worse, he and his family are already living in a motel. Took me all day to pick up the phone and order is final check. I feel awful. How do any of you fellow bosses cope with having to do this? :cry:

photogoddess said:
It just sucks to be the boss. Tomorrow I have to fire an employee that is a nice guy that just can't get his act together. I've tried and tried to help him but he just doesn't get it. To make matters worse, he and his family are already living in a motel. Took me all day to pick up the phone and order is final check. I feel awful. How do any of you fellow bosses cope with having to do this? :cry:

Goddess... Can I be your employee? You sound like a great boss to have. Too bad this guy didn't get his act together, it's not your fault by any means. It seems to me that despite the fact that this guy seemed to be a 'good guy' he is in fact an irresponsible person. How can one be such a lazy ass and not work hard to make a better living for him and his family?

I am not entirely a boss (I can discuss and direct musical observations to my section, making sure they respect them and if not, a disciplinary action of sorts ensues, usually a letter of warning and so on...) and don't really know how it feels when someone gets fired because I ask so, but look at it from the positive side of things:

Sooner rather than later he will realize you actually did him a favor by letting him go, realizing he needs to get his ass in gear and start doing something with his life.

Meanwhile...

:hug: :hug:

I'm not technically anyone's boss, but I do have someone that works for me, but not under my direct management. However, my former company went through layoffs about a year ago (thankfully I wasn't one of them!) and it sounds like you are a lot more compassionate than they were about it. One word of wisdom for you, this will probably be quite hard on the people that are remaining. Unless this guy did absolutely nothing at all and the team hated him it's likely that the other employees will be nervous as well.

You gotta keep it in your head that this is a result of his poor decisions and life-skills. It's not your fault at all. I know that's tough though. I struggle with the same issues in my classroom with kids that are really sweet sometimes, but just can't get their shyte together. It's their choices they're making and they have to learn to live with the consequences. Ratchet it up a few notches since it's the 'real world', but it's still the same basic premise.

There are 9 of us including the hubby and I. All of our employees are pretty close to us and seem to try hard to do a good job. This guy's only been here a little over a month but I knew right away that he didn't have it. I put him in an easier position (just changing oil and doing lubes) without cutting his pay and he still couldn't do it. All of the other employees know we tried to make it work so I don't think there will be any uneasy feelings within the remaining crew. Thankfully I have a great crew that trusts me. :sillysmi:

Miti - you know how to fix forklifts??? :LOL:

I used to be a production foreman in an industrial plant and I always found disiplinary actions difficult. One thing to remember with this guy , if he just can't get it, while it might be rough on him for now, you are doing him a favour. If he can't do the simple jobs then he is not suited for this type of work and he may well move on to something he is good at and enjoys.

Sweetie, at my last job all I did was restructure staff, it seemed. I've fired more people than I can even think about over the last 12 years of management. No question, it can be the worst act to perform in the job description.

I even posted here when I had to can some simple soul, who meant well, was harmless, but just - didn't have it going on upstairs. Single mom, etc., etc - it made me sick to know I was sending her even further down, to where all I could do was cling to a Scrooge-like mindset of "business is business". Bottom line is, that is the truth. You're running a business, not a charitable outfit for the marginal minds out there. If you know you hired on good faith, made at least one effort to change tasks, and he still can't cut the mustard - well, there's a reason this poor loser is living in a motel. And you know you're not responsible for it.

Give him the check and keep it short and kind spirited. No debates. Leave early today and take it easy tonight, and then move on. :hug:

If the guy cant cut it doing oil changes and lubes theres something wrong. You cant say you didnt try to help him. Like someone said, keep it short and simple.

photogoddess said:
Miti - you know how to fix forklifts??? :LOL:

Hey, I'll try anything once (or twice...) :lol: I used to work on my car quite a lot, changed oil, lubed, took it apart for repairs and so on. Forklifts are simpler than cars, aren't they? :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back