Some dear friends.......

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got around to photographing a family that is very dear to my heart. I REALLY struggled with this set. I am not sure if it was justified, or if it stemmed from my desire to have them come out "perfect."

We had a HUGE glare issue with the mothers glasses. No matter what angle I had my light at there was a large blue glare. It seemed to be her specific lens's coating. It was also my first time editing more mature skin and finding the right balance and tones was very challenging.

Honestly, I almost didn't post this set because I was a little terrified of the C&C I might receive. These are already printed and ready to be given to them on Thursday! I hope they like them. Its apparently been about 18 years since they have had portraits taken.

22403781110_c1391484f3_c.jpg

22565732716_f883e68385_c.jpg

21961805303_2a1c15c953_c.jpg

21968971934_1a92310f0e_c.jpg

21960250374_e2a836b18b_c.jpg

A few thoughts... #1 is spot on. Nice pose and good exposure. I'm not overly fond of the crop at the bottom; I think her legs/butt could use a little more room, but that's minor. #2 is good; I would burn in the backlight spill and maybe dieal down the red in his face a bit, but other than that, nice. #3... her face is probably a full stop over-exposed, and you forgot to have her push her glasses up; the top of the frames are almost cutting through her eyes. As well, given her skin tone, a darker background would have been a better choice. #4 is nice; again, maybe dial down the red a bit (I suspect it's the way his skin is, but it looks a little artificial in a photograph) and burn in the backlight spill. The last one is nice, but again, the highlights/exposure on the older lady's face are a bit hot, and the bottom crop is a bit tight to the fingers.
All those nits aside, this is a nice set, and I suspect they will be pretty pleased; most people aside from other photographers wont' notice the small details.

I would be tempted to add some diffusion to these for a little bit more of a soft look. I think keeping the skin tones bright like this is a good idea, to minimize skin texture and wrinkles...modern digital is soooooooo crisp and clean that skin detail shows up super-clearly when lighted with studio flash. Without any film grain to modulate large facial planes, every small flaw shows up. On #3, RE: Tirediron's idea of a darker background...I disagree, and think the light backdrop keeps a bit of attention away from her face, and prevents her from standing out too harshly by subject/backdrop contrast. I do think though that the older lady's face needs to be brought down about 4/10 EV in #3 and in the last shot...it just looks overly hot.

The best think about ALL of these is that the people look FRIENDLY, and fairly much at-ease. They look comfortable in front of the camera.

A few thoughts... #1 is spot on. Nice pose and good exposure. I'm not overly fond of the crop at the bottom; I think her legs/butt could use a little more room, but that's minor. #2 is good; I would burn in the backlight spill and maybe dieal down the red in his face a bit, but other than that, nice. #3... her face is probably a full stop over-exposed, and you forgot to have her push her glasses up; the top of the frames are almost cutting through her eyes. As well, given her skin tone, a darker background would have been a better choice. #4 is nice; again, maybe dial down the red a bit (I suspect it's the way his skin is, but it looks a little artificial in a photograph) and burn in the backlight spill. The last one is nice, but again, the highlights/exposure on the older lady's face are a bit hot, and the bottom crop is a bit tight to the fingers.
All those nits aside, this is a nice set, and I suspect they will be pretty pleased; most people aside from other photographers wont' notice the small details.

Thank you for all the thoughts. I appricate them very much.
I agree with more space needed in number one. The crop was hiding her sock. They didnt want individual photos, so I tried to make it quick, and didnt notice while shooting.
2) Believe it or not the red IS pulled back. By a TON. I pulled it back so much in fact, that I was afriad to go any further. The "correct" tone was SO far away from his actual face I chickend out and dialed it back.
3) was intentionally over-exposed to help with the wrinkles. As for the glasses, I actually did remember. I had her push them up every shot but they would NOT stay. Even for a second. Perhaps she needs a nose peice adjustment? I tried shooting lower to compensate but the angle was just too odd. Honestly, between the glare and the rims, I wanted her to ditch them altogether but she wouldnt. I have never struggled so much with glasses- ever!

I guess thats one reason I am so frusterated with this set. I feel despite my best efforts, I still fell short.

The crop on their hands is super tight! I noticed it, but didnt change it....Its an easy fix, so I am not sure why.... I ordered some prints as a gift, but I will fix that when i burn their disk. Thanks for pointing it out!

I would be tempted to add some diffusion to these for a little bit more of a soft look. I think keeping the skin tones bright like this is a good idea, to minimize skin texture and wrinkles...modern digital is soooooooo crisp and clean that skin detail shows up super-clearly when lighted with studio flash. Without any film grain to modulate large facial planes, every small flaw shows up. On #3, RE: Tirediron's idea of a darker background...I disagree, and think the light backdrop keeps a bit of attention away from her face, and prevents her from standing out too harshly by subject/backdrop contrast. I do think though that the older lady's face needs to be brought down about 4/10 EV in #3 and in the last shot...it just looks overly hot.

The best think about ALL of these is that the people look FRIENDLY, and fairly much at-ease. They look comfortable in front of the camera.

Thanksfor the thoughts and kind words!
I did over expose intentionally to help blow out wrinkles. And personally, I like the photos of mom on the white. Maybe grey would have been better, but I didnt bring my grey backdrop with me. I was thinking more along the lines of clothing than skin tone when I chose backgorunds. I will have to take that into consideration next time.

the last shot.....Honeslty, I really hate the lighting in it and I almost scrapped it, but it was the one where they have the best connection. I dont like the shadows when I bring it down, and If I work soley on the highlights it starts looking really weird.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back