Some digital questions, including double exposures?

bronzeo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagemakerart.com
I just received a 10D a couple of days ago, and have reviewed most of the features..... I have yet to find a way to double expose for effect shots, or to use an open shutter, or a way to attach a remote manual release. Is the double exposures maybe done in the software dept. by combining frames?

Update, ok, after reading on down, the first question has been answered. Is there anyone, that would give a brief desription of stacking in either Photoshop, or Photopaint (which I'm more familiar with)?

bronzeo said:
I just received a 10D a couple of days ago, and have reviewed most of the features.....
HAHA... that's what you think ;)
I have yet to find a way to double expose for effect shots,
1) photoshop - "the correct" way
2) If you're an un-productive film-thinking person, you can use the "hat trick". Set your shutter to bulb and open and close the cap on your lens.

or to use an open shutter,
Go to B mode, as long as you hold the shutter button pressed the shutter is open.
or a way to attach a remote manual release.
I am not sure for 10D, for rebel you can get a 1$ headset, cut off the mic part, leaving the wires open. If you connect one pair, it's focus. If 2 pairs - it's shutter.

10D may have a different shutter. Cheers

The best way to achieve the double exposure effect in Photoshop is to add the two frames as seperate layers and then mask/unmask the areas you wish to combine.

I thought you could lock the mirror up in the 10d, so you dont have to stand there and hold the button? Which was one of the features that made it better than the 300d?

Ill have to try the $1 headset thing. I heard about getting the headsets with the mute button but I havent seen one yet in the last year that ive been looking.

All dslrs should have the option for double exposure, or triple, or quadruple, etc. At least thats my way of thinking. Sure you can do it in ps, but if your doing something simple and want it all on one frame,doing it the ps way is just using up space on your memory card and taking your time to manually do it yourself.

And for the ps way, I think another way to similate the multiple exposure is to set the layer blending modes to screen or something like that.

GerryDavid said:
I thought you could lock the mirror up in the 10d, so you dont have to stand there and hold the button? Which was one of the features that made it better than the 300d?

mirror lock is something totally different, it has nothing to do with bulb mode. mirror lock is, when you push the release button, the mirror pops up for max. 30 sec. meanwhile you have time to push the release button again to activate the shutter (that avoids vibrations which a poping-up mirror produces).

bulb always need a cable (there was something like "t", but thats another story).

Update... I made a bracket in about 20 minutes today that attaches to my tripod, and works great. Similar to the one in the link, but not attached to the camera's base.... Why would they design one to use with a handheld shot anyway. There is not practical way to get that one on the tripod.

santino said:
GerryDavid said:

mirror lock is something totally different, it has nothing to do with bulb mode. mirror lock is, when you push the release button, the mirror pops up for max. 30 sec. meanwhile you have time to push the release button again to activate the shutter (that avoids vibrations which a poping-up mirror produces).

bulb always need a cable (there was something like "t", but thats another story).

I believe mirror lock up is activated by timer. You press the shutter button once and the mirror flips up and the shutter opens in two seconds or something like that. If you had to press the shutter again...you would be shaking the camera...unless you had a remote release.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back