Some from London

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in London last night or a charity event and stayed close to London Bridge (not to be confused with Tower Bridge which is far more attractive. When I first came to London Bridge years ago I was underwhelmed). Before breakfast I grabbed two cameras, my 5D mk III and my newly returned 645D and hit the streets. These are all with the 120 f/4 macro:

Pentax 645D FA 120 at f/8 1/125 ISO 200

HMS-Belfast,-Tower-Bridge-and-the-olympic-rings by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/11 1/160 ISO 200

HMS-Belfast-and-Tower-Bridge by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Looking across to the city:

f/11 1/200 ISO 200

Looking-across-to-Fishmonger's-Hall-and-The-City by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/11 1/125 ISO 200

Looking-across-to-The-City-from-the-south-bank,-Southwark by singingsnapper, on Flickr

The Golden Hind, on the um, Golden Hind!

f/8 1/100 ISO 400

Golden-Hind by singingsnapper, on Flickr

From the balcony on the top floor of a building close to Fishmonger's Hall, The Shard with the sun reflecting on to its surface

Canon 5D mk III Carl Zeiss 35 f/2 at f/16 1/80 ISO 100 (all shots with same lens and camera)

Sunstar-on-the-Shard-in-London by singingsnapper, on Flickr

looking at the same view at sunset:

f/8 1/50 ISO 200

The-shard-at-sunset by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Looking down the Thames

f/7.1 1/60 ISO 200

Overlooking-London-and-Tower-Bridge-at-Sunset by singingsnapper, on Flickr

The following morning looking across Millenium Bridge towards St Paul's Cathedral:

f/11 1/80 ISO 100

Looking-across-Millenium-Bridge-London by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Stood beside the Millenium Bridge looking across the Thames:

f/11 1/60 ISO 100

Looking-across-the-Thames-from-under-Millenium-Bridge by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I thought London Bridge was falling down. :lol:

WAY too many photos to really comment on, but the one that particularly strikes me is the first one of the Millenium bridge--I like the composition on that shot.

In the third and fourth photos, what's the conical-shaped building in the background? That's kinda cool looking!

WAY too many photos to really comment on, but the one that particularly strikes me is the first one of the Millenium bridge--I like the composition on that shot.

In the third and fourth photos, what's the conical-shaped building in the background? That's kinda cool looking!

It's affectionately known as The Gherkin

More info here:
The Gherkin, London

And didn't Voldemort's Death Eaters twist and break the Millennium Bridge? ;)
You have some interesting shots, here. I really like the Golden-Hind. Thank you for sharing.

london is best....

On my way to work with a colleague of mine close to peterborough just into the Southern Lincolnshire Fens spent a few hours pulling my cases around London. The new W hotel on Leicester square has fairly recently opened, and they have their distinctive W sign in the entrance to the lobby. Had to grab this shot fairly quickly while noone was there as two member sof staff complete with security headset made a point of standing by the sign just after:

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55 at f/8 and 43mm (33mm 35mm equiv) 1/250 ISO 200

The-W-in-London by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Took a stroll in London before meeting a friend of mine on my way back from Lincolnshire.

i started off in Covent Garden:

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55 at f/11 and 33mm 1/30 ISO 400

Covent-Garden by singingsnapper, on Flickr

then made my way down toward St Paul's Cathedral, and found the high contrast appealing:

An old red bus:

Pentax 645D FA 33- 55 at f/19 and 43mm 1/125 ISO 200

Old-red-London-Bus-amd-St-Paul's by singingsnapper, on Flickr

The other archetypal London thing: the black cab

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55mm at 55mm and f/11 1/250 ISO 200

black-cab-and-st-pauls by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and in black and white:

black-cab-and-st-paul's-in-bw by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Another shot with dark clouds hanging over St Paul's

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55 at f/11 and 45mm 1/200 ISO 200

St-Paul's by singingsnapper, on Flickr

in black and white:

Stormclouds-over-St-Paul's-Cathedral by singingsnapper, on Flickr

After a quick dinner with my friend in Holborn I made my way to King's Cross to pick up my luggage from left luggage (expensive but left me free to wander) and they have been doing some work to the interior of the station; I need to spend more time here to take advantage of the shapes and it works better after dark I feel and didn't have a lot of time as was in hurry to get my train home from Paddington:

Canon 5D mk III Carl Zeiss 35 f/2 at f/8 1/40 ISO 800

Kings'-Cross by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Same camera and lens and same settings

King's-Cross-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Very good photos about how London look like before the Olympics! I like a lot the photos of the Black cab. Both color and BW are beautiful!

Thank you!

Friday was a truly fantastic afternoon for constrasty photographs with bright sunshine but plenty of clouds. I've had to do a fair bit of work correcting as much of the perspective distortion here as this was as far back as I could get to take the photograph. I really like the black and white version but the colour also works well:

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55 at 33mm f/16 1/100 ISO 100:

front-of-St-Paul's by singingsnapper, on Flickr

in black and white, converted in Silver Efex Pro 2

In-front-of-St-Paul's-B&W by singingsnapper, on Flickr

In London for a few days right before the olympics (the place will go into meltdown from 25th!) and while having lunch on Gloucester Road in South kensington, I noticed the planes fairly low and the position of the partial moon and thought it might make an interesting shot, so went back to my Kensington hotel and grabbed my 645D and my FA 400mm

Pentax 645D FA 400 f/5.6 at f/6.3 1/500 ISO 160

BA-airbus-before-wheels-down by singingsnapper, on Flickr

same camera/lens f/9 1/500 ISO 200

BA-airbus-and-the-moon by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Out and about in London yesterday. Thought I'd deliberately get some false into a shot at Westminster Abbey:

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55 at 33mm f/22 1/60 ISO 200

westminster-abbey-with-flare by singingsnapper, on Flickr

And a gymnast statue outside the Westminster parish church

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55 at 48mm and f/16 1/50 ISO 200

gymnast-statue by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Thanks, thereyougo! I don't have a ticket for London, but you make a fine guide. My preference, when sightseeing, is to see things in colour. Later on, my memory takes care of the B/W conversion, but it doesn't always follow the rules. Your images are always clean, clear, and taken with the feeling of "being there". Yeah, I know you have to be there to take the picture, but they invite the viewer along as well. I look forward to your posts - they rarely disappoint.

I had a free day in London and did my best to put it to good use with the D800.

Thought I'd have a look around the Imperial War Museum which was interesting, but stopped too many times for photos and so didn't have very much time there.

One thing that has particularly impressed me with the D800 is the Dynamic Range. I get plenty of detail where with the 5D mk III I have to rescue detail from the shadows which then produces lots of chroma noise. No such issue with the D800:

These are all around Westminster Bridge:

Nikon D800 14 - 24 at f/11 and 22mm 1/50 ISO 100 both converted in Silver efex

A-look-through-the-arch-to-Westminster-Palace by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/11 19mm 1/40 ISO 100

Another-look-through-the-arch-to-Westminster-Palace by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Looking across Westminster Bridge:

f/11 18mm 1/50 ISO 100

Looking-across-Westminster-Brigde by singingsnapper, on Flickr

A panoramic crop from single shot:

f/11 19mm 1/160 ISO 100

Looking-to-parliament-from-south-bank by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Memorial to Russian soldiers in Imperial War Museum gardens - had to be a bit of work getting rid of the flare in the one:

f/16 14mm 1/250 ISO 100

Russian-Memorial-at-Imperial-War-Museum-London by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back