Some getting started ??

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I have some basic getting started questions for you:)

First: How do you guys (& Galls) store your pictures on your computer. Is there any certain program you use or do you just have a picture folder. Also, with so many pictures being put on your computer how do you organize them, any sertain methods?

Second: I want to get an idea of what photo editing programs every one uses? I would like to get a good program that I can use and still use as I get further and further into photography with out finding myself needing to keep buying more programs to meet my needs.

Third: How do I creat a gallary here on the forum to put picture in?

Thanks, I appreciate all the help:)

I used pictureproject to organize, its a program that Nikon made. I notice your name is D40... I got pictureproject with my D40 when I bought it.

As for organizing them, generally when I take pics off my SD card they are all from the same sort of thing, for instance, I just shot pictures of a music festival all weeked called "Monkfest" so all my files are called MF2007-X the x is a number in consectuitive order. I used macintosh, so I can just click a button and it will put 400 pictures in order number 1-400.

As for editing, I used Photoshop, it's expensive, but its awesome.

As for a gallery on the forum, I don't know, I'm new here, but I used www.flickr.com The free account allows you to post 200 photos, I have the pro version, which costs like 30 bucks, and it's unlimited. Check out the link to see what a flickr gallery looks like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8110131@N06/collections/72157600178221473/

Hope this helps a little.

Yes it does thanks. I did get the picture program with the D40 and will just keep using it. What is the photoshop you have and what price are we talking about?? Is it the $700 version??:()

I have My libraries in Lightroom and I have all my images in folders categorized as to which camera was used, where, and when.

Photoshop Elements is a good starter for Photoshop (I'll call it PS to save my fingers) newbies and is much cheaper. Check that out first. Only as you become much more advanced will you need the extras that the more expensive version of PS come with. I use PS CS2 now, but it might have been hard to learn it without using PS Elements first. When I first started using PS Elements I couldn't work out what else I could need. Now I can't do without PS CS2.

I also use Flickr to host pictures online. I've got a Pro account - it's not that much per year and it's a great way to learn about Photography by seeing what others are up to. But you can get plenty of photos online without having to pay.

As for storing piccies on my PC - I've really got to get more organised. They're all in generally the same place but I do need to sit down and organise it better! I do have 2 hard disks though which means the programmes run on one drive and the files are stored on the other. It make processing the files a little quicker. If you only have one hard disk drive you can partition it; but I'm not a computer expert so if your interested in setting up like this ask someone who knows more than me!

Hi D40,

I really need to come up with a better way to organize my photos, but for right now, I have a folder for each month. In the monthly folder, I will have subfolders for: original straight-out-of-the-camera files, "working" copies, and ready-to-print files.

There are a bunch of picture editing programs, but the big boys are really Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. I would suggest that you go with Elements to get started. It can be had for less than $100 US. I use the Organizer feature in Elements to help keep myself organized and together. I'm still learning the edtior side of Elements.

In order to create a gallery here, you must become a subscriber and pay a fee.

~jen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back