Some help getting started, chosing a mount/stabilizer

Psytrox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

First off, I'd like to wish myself welcome to the DSLR video section of the forum. I don't really have any experience in the subject, or a lot of knowledge. So hoping you guys can help me out a little.

The company I work for has a 20 year anniversary since it started, and as such, they want to make a small movie. The plan is (using a dslr), to walk through the whole company, which will be fast forwarded while walking from A to B, and slowed down at certain hotspots, doing some panoramas at certain places of interest.

The part I need help with, is choosing, the instrument that will be holding the camera that will make the movie smooth, while walking through the office. Putting tracks down, will not be an option, just so that its out there :lmao:. Some of the products that I've been looking at are the hand held camera stabilizers, like the SK-W02 from Sevenork, and the shoulder stabilizer, as well from Sevenork. I wasn't really able to find any reviews from either of them. I suspect though, that using the shoulder support, I would be much more viable to pickup the small shaking movments while walking.

Does anyone have any simaler, or better options that they would recommend. I'm not really sure what sort of budget my company is going to cap me at. But i think 5000 NOK around 800 USD would be acceptable.

Hi Psytrox - and welcome to the video forum! The challenge with stabilizers - no matter how good they are - is that there is a learning curve before you can shoot consistent, smooth video - and, since this is a work project, you're probably on some sort of deadline.

With an $800 budget, I would pick up a used or new Olympus OM-D body with 5-axis in-body image stabilization - plus an inexpensive adapter for whatever type of lens you use (e.g., Canon or Nikon).

Here is what this camera can do, handheld, in full auto:

You can get this camera, body-only, for as low as 590€ from amazon.de, use your existing lenses to shoot your project, and then sell the body when the project is over.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know you may have a deadline, however, Steadicam is releasing a new $500 model called the Solo next month. I love the new design and similar look/feel to the full sized Steadicam sleds. It will allow you to pan/tilt the camera while you move around and dock on the fly for static shots. I agree with brunerww, the Solo will have a learning curve so make sure to factor that in if you buy any stabilizer.

Avaliable -April 4

http://www.tiffen.com/userimages2/Steadicam/Solo_final_1714_web.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back