Some more B&W's C&C please :)

Love the angle of the shots in 1 & 3. However, I think both would have benefitted from greater DOF. I do like the lighting in #1. #3 has too much vignetting IMO. #2 simply does nothing for me. #4, again, not much for me. I'd like to see greater contrast, less exposure. I see where you were going with it, though. I think capturing an end of it (like #1) would have made for a better composition. Lots of grain to them, perhaps intentionally...??? For what it's worth, I'm fairly new so take my comments as you wish. I'm sure more "trained" eyes will offer better comments.

Love #1. As Diver said, more depth of field would be better though to get more of the instrument in focus. Also, I'd crop out the white fuzzy line in the upper right.

Love the angle of the shots in 1 & 3. However, I think both would have benefitted from greater DOF. I do like the lighting in #1. #3 has too much vignetting IMO. #2 simply does nothing for me. #4, again, not much for me. I'd like to see greater contrast, less exposure. I see where you were going with it, though. I think capturing an end of it (like #1) would have made for a better composition. Lots of grain to them, perhaps intentionally...??? For what it's worth, I'm fairly new so take my comments as you wish. I'm sure more "trained" eyes will offer better comments.

i've had a few with vignetting like that as well... is that being caused by our lower end kit lenses being run wide open?

the grain is not intentional.... however, it's a by-product of our current method..

we are shooting film. black and white. processing at home. and then scanning in with our scanner, which is NOT a film scanner, that i have macguyvered to work so-so. as a result, we are missing some details, and we have banding that's caused from the lower end scanner "eye/light"

until we get a real film scanner, we can't get much better detail than this. :(

And dad, I'm just faster and more advanced than you, in my opinion . Gosh , step up the game & get with the program ! :lmao:

I'd love to help you with more technical info but I'm not very advanced at this stuff. I was just giving an opinion how the images were perceived by my eye/mind. I've experienced vignetting when trying to use too much zoom with a given lens (not wide angle). Perhaps that has something to do with it. Good on you for using film.

I'd love to help you with more technical info but I'm not very advanced at this stuff. I was just giving an opinion how the images were perceived by my eye/mind. I've experienced vignetting when trying to use too much zoom with a given lens (not wide angle). Perhaps that has something to do with it. Good on you for using film.

you're right. zoomed in all the way... that's where i've had it happen.

I like the grain in the first one!! :)

you're right. zoomed in all the way... that's where i've had it happen.

Not sure which kit lens you have....but the amount of vignetting shown in #3 looks more like a lens shade showing up than it does light fall-off. Does the lens have a lens shade on it? Perhaps one that is not the right one? I thought you guys had some older Rebel-X-era 28-80 zooms, the kit lens of yore, as it were? THe vignetting also has a rounded nature that looks a lot like a crop-field lens being used on a full-frame body...but since you have Canon cameras, I don't think the EF-S type lenses will mount onto FF bodies--but perhaps they will on FILM bodies...

Anywayyyy, I think these four shots are the exact type of visual exploration that a young photographer needs to do: to LOOK at regular objects and se them in ways that will make a good photo. The first violin shot is a good example, as is the snow on the lawn furniture. It's a necessary skill, to be able to point a camera and focus it and compose with it, and turn the mundane into a pleasing photo. The first violin photo needs more DOF,and would have been a really great time to use a tripod and stop down to perhaps f/16, and use a slow shutter speed.

Oh, BTW, you're grounded for dissin' the old man...lol

her lens for those shots was a canon 35-80 on the rebel 2000. it came with the body. and yes, it has a screw on $5 tulip style lens hood, screwed into the UV filter.

her lens for those shots was a canon 35-80 on the rebel 2000. it came with the body. and yes, it has a screw on $5 tulip style lens hood, screwed into the UV filter.

Well, there's your mechanical vignetting...the UV filter + that hood, at that focal length, at that close range, blocks the light. The added distance of the UV filter makes the problem a wee bit worse, but my guess is that the hood is simply not the one that goes with that lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back