Some Mushroom's

First, welcome to the Forum. You will find that you will get some very honest and insightful comments on images that you post here, providing you ask for it and sometimes even if you don't ask for it :biggrin-93:. These are some nice shots with a lot of potential. If you don't mind a suggestion - I carry a macro kit with me for such occasions. It consists of a small pair of scissors, a "scalpel" type cutting blade, a very long pair of tweezers and a couple of different sized make-up brushes. I use them to clean up situations such as the second, third and fourth shots you have here. Some folks might think this is "cheating" a bit, but it always results in better, cleaner pictures and I don't ruin anything trying to clean up the subject with my fingers. Also, it has minimal impact on the subjects environment. Think of it as applying a little "makeup" to your subject, such as they do to models in "people" shots. I actually learned this approach from a pro who does a lot of macro photography.

For example, in the second shot, I would have used the larger, soft makeup brush to very gently clean the extraneous material off the mushroom. In the third image, I would have used the long tweezers to remove some of the leaves around the mushroom and in the fourth shot, I would have used the tweezers to remove the leaves from the mushroom and the surrounding area and then the makeup brush to clean up the subject.

The only other thing I would ask is that you number your images when you post them as this makes it easier for a reviewer to refer to an image, by number, in their comments.

WesternGuy

I think WesternGuy covered things pretty well.

Definitely number your pictures in the future as it really does make it so much easier to refer to them in a reply.

Interesting shots, I really like the last one you posted. I look forward to seeing more from you!

First, welcome to the Forum. You will find that you will get some very honest and insightful comments on images that you post here, providing you ask for it and sometimes even if you don't ask for it :biggrin-93:. These are some nice shots with a lot of potential. If you don't mind a suggestion - I carry a macro kit with me for such occasions. It consists of a small pair of scissors, a "scalpel" type cutting blade, a very long pair of tweezers and a couple of different sized make-up brushes. I use them to clean up situations such as the second, third and fourth shots you have here.... (to make it shorter)

Thank you for the awesome reply. I was that day working in the forest preparing wood for winter so I didnt have anything with me and I dont usually "fix" things since I like to take shots just like they are, but thanks for the suggestion. Also I will number them from now on. Thank you again!
I think WesternGuy covered things pretty well.

Definitely number your pictures in the future as it really does make it so much easier to refer to them in a reply.

Interesting shots, I really like the last one you posted. I look forward to seeing more from you!

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

...and a couple of different sized make-up brushes.

Don't beetles and such complain that it tickles?

I like them. The first one though looks frighteningly like Amanita verna, very poisonous even to handle.You should get a mushroom guide. It would be fun to be able to identify them.

Last edited:

I like them. The first one though looks frighteningly like Amanita verna, very poisonous even to handle.You should get a mushroom guide. It would be fun to be able to identify them.
That's why I have the tweezers, although some of them are hard to hold on to :biggrin-93: and some like the feel of the soft brushes on their bodies :biglaugh:.

Seriously, I don't photograph a lot of bugs and other things that move, but mushrooms and other fungi are fair game. They look a lot better when they are cleaned up.

WesternGuy

They taste better that way too :biggrin-93:.

Thank you a lot man! I will download me a Mushroom App on iPhone for the next time when I got hunting them.

I like the last one a lot. And thank you to WesternGuy for some great tips. I never would have thought of that but will defiantly be making myself a similar kit.

Dave

I like the last one a lot. And thank you to WesternGuy for some great tips. I never would have thought of that but will defiantly be making myself a similar kit.

Dave
You are welcome - hope it works for you.

The Makeup brushes - one is soft and about 1" wide at the end, the other is about 1/2 inch wide and a little coarser. Both are about 6-7" long. I have also recently added an old toothbrush to my kit for the harder stuff. I just have to be careful that I don't destroy anything in the "cleanup" process.

The tweezers are about 6 to 7" long, curved to a point at the business end.

The scissors are about 4" long.

As far as the "scalpel" is concerned, an Exacto knife or one of those utility knives where you snap the blade off to get a new, sharp edge, will do, or any "really sharp" pocket knife. My experience has shown that it should be thin as thick knives don't work well in the "macro" environment. Just be careful you don't slice something you didn't intend to :biggrin-93:. Sometimes you can pick a good sharp blade at a garage sale - trick is to keep it really sharp and thin.

I didn't spend a lot of money on the "kit" as you can get most of the components at places like Walmart, Target or The Dollar Store. Sometimes you can even find stuff at garage sales or estate sales.

WG

Dave

Thank you a lot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back