Some New Sigma Goodies!

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heh Derral got their first
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...sigma-new-85mm-1-4-new-70-200-stabilized.html

and later down that thread I link those reviews in :)

Still I agree its some great news and yes the bigma with OS is very interesting!

Oooops ... yeah, I missed Derral's post. Oh well.

Anyway, I still am interested in the OS Bigma. I suggested to my wife when she asked me what I wanted for my birthday that I wanted the Canon 500mm f/4. She asked me how much it was and, when I told her ($6140 on Amazon), you could have heard the laughter all the way at the Canon factory.

Why not push for the 300mm f2.8?
that plus your teleconverters is a powerfull combo (just ask GSgarry or the Otterking). Infact I recall that LP got the 500mm f4 and sent it back because it was so heavy - long range yes, but weight was a lot more. The 300mm f2.8 IS L plus a 2* teleconverter is a lighter, handholdable and cheaper setup - not as sharp as a 500mm or 600mm prime, but still very very sharp.

However I can certainly agree the 50-500mm OS would be a great walkaround lens and if it can be as good (if not better) than the current version then that ranks it about as good as the canon 100-400mm L (according to Juza's comparison review)

Why not push for the 300mm f2.8?
that plus your teleconverters is a powerfull combo (just ask GSgarry or the Otterking). Infact I recall that LP got the 500mm f4 and sent it back because it was so heavy - long range yes, but weight was a lot more. The 300mm f2.8 IS L plus a 2* teleconverter is a lighter, handholdable and cheaper setup - not as sharp as a 500mm or 600mm prime, but still very very sharp.

However I can certainly agree the 50-500mm OS would be a great walkaround lens and if it can be as good (if not better) than the current version then that ranks it about as good as the canon 100-400mm L (according to Juza's comparison review)

Even the 300 is more than I can afford at the moment, although I'm still thinking about it. I use my Sigma 100-300mm f/4 with a TC with good results, but it doesn't have OS and that hurts at the longer focal lengths.

I know the feeling about costs :( the 300mm jumped a whole £1000 in retail price in the UK which pretty much canceled my saving - so I shifted to macro gear as it is at least cheaper to save up in smaller stages.
Nice thing about an option like the bigma is that its a good cover lens whilst one saves for something better and yet it still has a purpose (an easy walkaround zoom) after the main purchase

I think this is Sigma's biggest homerun season ever! Seriously...they're going to be offering TWO of the most sought-after enthusiast lenses....a 70-200 stabilized zoom with extra-low dispersion glass that "might" be able to eliminate almost all chromatic aberration, PLUS a high-speed 85mm f/1.4 prime lens, AND THEN, as if those two were not enough, a brand new 8-16mm ultra-wide zoom lens for APS-C bodies. Plus, adding OS to the 50-500,and also doing a few other tricks...they're aiming right at three major,major gaps where the camera makers' products are vulnerable.

Nobody makes an 8-16mm...the new generation Canon and Nikon 70-200's cost $2400 or so, and the Canon,Nikon,and Sony (Zeiss) 85mm high-speed lenses are way above the price ranges of most amateurs.

Adding two elements of their new "fluorite-like dispersion" FLD glass to their 17-50 f/2.8...Sigma's got the range dialed in...

Yeah :( The 300 f/2.8 is currently $4340 at Amazon. I was thinking of the 400mm f/ 5.6 until I read this new Bigma release ... I do wish Canon would put IS on the 400mm

I think this is Sigma's biggest homerun season ever! Seriously...they're going to be offering TWO of the most sought-after enthusiast lenses....a 70-200 stabilized zoom with extra-low dispersion glass that "might" be able to eliminate almost all chromatic aberration, PLUS a high-speed 85mm f/1.4 prime lens, AND THEN, as if those two were not enough, a brand new 8-16mm ultra-wide zoom lens for APS-C bodies. Plus, adding OS to the 50-500,and also doing a few other tricks...they're aiming right at three major,major gaps where the camera makers' products are vulnerable.

Nobody makes an 8-16mm...the new generation Canon and Nikjon 70-200's cost $2400 or so, and the Canon,Nikon,and Sony (Zeiss) 85mm high-speed lenses are ay above the price ranges of most amateurs.

18-70 makes 17-55 lenses look a bit "short" by comparison...Sigma's got the range dialed in...

I just hope it's a homerun season and not a string of foul balls. We won't know until we actually see these in real life. I will especially be interested in comparison testing between the OS Bigma, the old Bigma, and the 150-500 by someone who knows something about bird photography.

I just hope it's a homerun season and not a string of foul balls. We won't know until we actually see these in real life. I will especially be interested in comparison testing between the OS Bigma, the old Bigma, and the 150-500 by someone who knows something about bird photography.

Well, if things go south, they can claim they were injected with steroids by a team trainer--without their consent.;)

Most reactions

Back