some newbie questions...

Bakko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so im a 20 year student at the moment, with a passion for photography.
i eventually want to open my own studio, but thats a long ways away ;]

anyways, i had some newbie questions, and would really appreciate some feedback.

So, im pretty sure on what camera i want to get(Nikon D90) but not sure about the lens. It comes with a 18-105mm lens but most people that have that camera say they dont use that lens at all.. any opinions on which lens to get? Just keep in mind that im on a college student budget, so im looking for a lens i can use for a while thats pretty versatile.

thnx!!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Do the people who tell you they don't use that lens give you a reason why? I have it and I use it all the time, its versatile you get decent zoom range with it, granted it isnt a fast lens but I see no problem with it. I would say it's a great starter lens.

I have it and use it frequently too. People always want to complain about kit lenses but I think they work great until you need the improved IQ of high end glass. Find a couple fast primes to supplement your kit lens and you'll find you have something good for most shooting conditions (ex: 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8). Also keep some of the third party lenses in mind too. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make some exceptional glass for much less $ than Nikons.

If you get the camera with the lens, try it out and if you feel it isn't up to par with what you expect, sell it and replace it with something better. I think you might find it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Lenses are tools. You use the one that can capture the scene that you wanted. It appears that the 18-105mm was not the tool that fit their requirements.

I am a NIKON user and the lens that I find to be a very good lens and fast as well, is a Tamron 17-50 2.8.$ 400.00.... It is 1/3 of the price as a Nikon lens and it is awsome....I also have another Tamron lens 70-200 2.8...it is a little more costly...but also a good lens....$ 700.00.

The 17-50 is a good all occasion lens....I use it for weddings, in the studio, and anything else you can think of.

i say the kit lens is a perfectly fine lens, isnt all that fast, but if you can stand a little grain in your photos, your fine. (and if your shooting outdoors, you can usually use lower ISOs because of the lovely sun)

IF you really want some different lenses, get a few primes, I have the 50mm f/1.8, it works is all I can say for it. The AF really sucks, but its fasterthan what I can do, to bad it sometimes focuses the ENTIRE focus range before it can find the right focus point. (maybe its just my D70....idk)

Ive heard good things about the Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 (or is it 50?) I think someone above already mentioned it.
if you have the money (700 dollars), the 18-200 is a "do-it-all lens". People say the image quality could be better, but untill you have better glass, itll be the best lens in the world for all you would care. Higher end lenses are WAAY expensive....and this lens takes pictures that arent blurry. End of story.
Ignorance is bliss :D

thanks for all the feedback guys, really helped.
i checked out the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and it looks really good...
any other lenses along those lines that you guys suggest?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back