Some of my latest work - Stacie Jensen

I tried the hazy thing a time or two..'cause chicks dig it. I ended up adding a layer and setting it to Multiply. muahhahaha

I am shocked at the negativity added to the comments. Not sure the group is for me. Art should not be criticized but rather appreciated. I teach photographers all the time, and I teach them to follow the art they desire and not what others are doing. I posted not for CC, but to showcase my style. I didn't much need approval.

Where are my manners. Of course I should have welcomed you first off. Professionals, beginners, and everyone in-between seems to be welcome here. I'm pretty new myself. And I took a few lumps over the first few pictures I posted here. I thought that 40 years of experience would somehow buy credibility. I learned fairly quickly that this is a brutally honest forum when it comes to critique and commentary on our photos. You may find that some folks hate a particular photo while others find much to admire in the same picture.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that none of this is personal. I admit that the first photos you posted seemed like all the highlights were washed out and the the poses were not particularly interesting. That's not a judgement about you or your abilities; just an observation.

I'm afraid I have to take issue with your statement that "art should not be criticized but rather appreciated". That's a rather naive viewpoint if I may say so. Art is criticized everywhere all the time; not just on our little forum. And we all know that one person's art is another person's rubbish.
When you teach your students to follow the art they desire and not what others are doing I hope you also caution them that there are good reasons why rules of exposure, composition, etc. exist. Art does not exist in a vacuum; We don't produce it solely for our own pleasure (even though we say that we do).. deep down we want others to appreciate it too.

You got off to a bumpy start but I hope you stick around and continue to show us your work. I'm sure that there is a lot of excellent stuff in your portfolio.

You have some nice work on your site. I liked your engagement set at the lake on the rickety pier. :thumbup: You brand yourself well which, if you stick around, would be good to help the complete noob who just picked up their Canon Rebel and opened a Facebook page. We can be a crotchety bunch but you'll soon learn to love us.

thank you for the welcome Tee and checking me out! I didn't expect roses here, so I am happy you came to welcome me. I just didn't expect it to be a negative first impression from the others either. Definitely not a naive photographer Tuffythepug, I'm a successful business woman. That doesn't come from being naive. We just have different view points of what art is. That's ok, your way isn't the right way because you have more time on the forum. I stand well with that opinion.

I think Tuffy you jumped to telling me how I should teach without asking if it works for my students. Yep! It does! They do very well after mentoring, again I discuss fundamentals. I don't tell them they have to stick to rules. You stick to the rules or art? Borrrrrinnnngggg! I stand out :)

Last edited:
Stacie.. I did not mean to come across as negative, I was merely commenting on what I personally don't care for in the images. Your style is very common today... and It is not my favorite even when well done. Poorly done (as is very common) and I really dislike it. You do it well... so that is not a dig at you!

oh.. and welcome! :)

Welcome! I'm only seeing one image on your post, so I can't comment on those, but I took a peek at your website, and find your work very beautiful! I think you give your client a very consistent and beautiful set of pictures!

yeesh.

thank you so much!!! I appreciate you visiting. I would love to take a peek at yours. I'm new here so not sure if there is a place I can click to see your links.

thank you so much!!! I appreciate you visiting. I would love to take a peek at yours. I'm new here so not sure if there is a place I can click to see your links.

I believe if you click on my name, it takes you to my profile and you can find posts I've started on there! I do this full time, so unless I have a session I'm absolutely in love with, or things are a little slower (like in January & February), I don't post as much as I would like to!

also, why are you forcing us to read backwards? your subject is on left side in each shot. we aren't chinese...we read left to right....just as we look at images...left to right. It's good to break the rules for a purpose...I don't see a strong enough purpose to do so....so forcing my eyes to go right to left is not interesting, but rather annoying.

none of this was meant to be bad...just my observations...

???

Really? I can see valid criticisms of the photo in other posts, but is this a rule you shoot by? Your compositions are limited by a rule of western reading protocol? Anyone else find this strange? You compose a shot, IMHO, in a way that is visually arresting, coherent and expressive of an idea - whether emotional, spiritual, physical or intellectual. To limit yourself arbitrarily to placing your subject on the right seems to me more often than not to be pointing a shotgun at your shoe, and had I even conceived of this rule before, I'm sure I would have missed out on roughly half my favorite shots. My advice to anyone employing this "rule": break it exactly as many times as appropriate. I'm sure you'll find this hovers around the 50% zone.

Don't mean to offend, just found this a very strange (and handicapping) rule...

And, of course, welcome to staciejensen and don't take the criticism here too personally. And, as is written, be careful what you ask for... ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back