some of

I don't know what equipment you were using, so that would be nice to know - camera lens, flash, etc. It is hard to be very definitive with my comments without knowing what you are using and the settings, etc.

I have often used flash to photograph big birds on my trips to Florida. I mount it off camera, and dial it down quite a bit, as has been suggested here. I also use a Better Beamer as I find that tends to spread the flash out, because, I am really only trying to use it as a subtle fill flash. In fact, for me, if you cannot tell that flash has been used then its use has been successful. I also find that dialing it down and using the Beamer, minimizes any shadows that flash can create.

How much you dial it down will depend on the flash you are using and the distance to the subject, so you may have to experiment a bit. A Better Beamer may not be necessary, but I would certainly recommend some type of a diffuser to make the flash effect as subtle as possible.

WesternGuy
D7100, Sigma150- 500, sb-800. at distances of 10 - 50 ft. I have a better beamer but wasn't using it because I actually thought it intensified the light. I was sing the flash in TTL mode.
Any how this is kind of all about experimenting and learning, so thanks for the tips.
At those distances, it would be interesting to see how the Beamer influences your flash results. Don't forget the inverse square law which is why the Beamer works so well, particularly if you dial the flash down - try it as one of your "experiments". One thing I did forget to mention, is that I shoot with the flash in manual mode, that way I have more control over its output as I find that TTL is harder to control, at least for me.

I would also agree that natural light is better, but sometimes the flash is quite useful as fill light and it can make a lot of difference in the final image.

WesternGuy

Thanks all, for your responses. I have ordered a flash bracket and flash cord and intend to try all your suggestions asap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back