Some photos of bands I've done since moving to Nashville [RIDICULOUSLY PHOTO HEAVY]

Sorry E, but I couldn't help it.

[video]<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72295572" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

Try again, haha

Oh God. Jason Aldean.

That bad? I really like his music

Of all the ... country... pop... he is the one I can tolerate the longest, but I'm not into the country pop/rock/whatevertheywannacallit thing.

Cash is cool... Alt Country like Ryan Adams is awesome... but I can't do the pop rock country thing.

These are awesome! You captured a lot of passion and emotion in these shots! The drummer's face in the next to last photo is awesome lol. I'm taking photos at a Frank Turner show at the end of November, it'll be my first time shooting a show. I'd love some pointers if you're willing.

Don't be afraid of high ISO (you have a MarkIII so that shouldn't even be an issue), spot meter for faces, take your time and look for moments, and if you're musically inclined, then it should be fairly easy for you to anticipate when "something" is going to happen in accordance to where the music starts to build and the hits are about to happen. It's harder to predict that if you don't already know the music, but if you DO know the music... even better, haha. Although 100% of the shots I took above were never having heard any of their music before.

I don't use flash. I use a wide aperture, quick shutter speed, and high ISO. I shoot on Manual, because especially if there is a lighting engineer, the lights change all the time and will confuse the hell out of Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority modes.

I dunno... if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. I'm bad at general advice, hahaha.

And, Hof, something I'm still working on, that my mentor constantly yells at me about is "Headroom! You have too much headroom!" :lmao: I blame that on the fact that I only use the center point to focus and don't always have time to recompose a live, moving subject... but you have MarkIII, and while I haven't used it, I heard the outer focus points of the MKIII are MUCH better than a MarkII.

Awesome, thank you for the tips! I'm really excited for this opportunity, especially since it's an artist whose music I really really enjoy.

These are awesome! You captured a lot of passion and emotion in these shots! The drummer's face in the next to last photo is awesome lol. I'm taking photos at a Frank Turner show at the end of November, it'll be my first time shooting a show. I'd love some pointers if you're willing.

Don't be afraid of high ISO (you have a MarkIII so that shouldn't even be an issue), spot meter for faces, take your time and look for moments, and if you're musically inclined, then it should be fairly easy for you to anticipate when "something" is going to happen in accordance to where the music starts to build and the hits are about to happen. It's harder to predict that if you don't already know the music, but if you DO know the music... even better, haha. Although 100% of the shots I took above were never having heard any of their music before.

I don't use flash. I use a wide aperture, quick shutter speed, and high ISO. I shoot on Manual, because especially if there is a lighting engineer, the lights change all the time and will confuse the hell out of Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority modes.

I dunno... if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. I'm bad at general advice, hahaha.

And, Hof, something I'm still working on, that my mentor constantly yells at me about is "Headroom! You have too much headroom!" :lmao: I blame that on the fact that I only use the center point to focus and don't always have time to recompose a live, moving subject... but you have MarkIII, and while I haven't used it, I heard the outer focus points of the MKIII are MUCH better than a MarkII.

Awesome, thank you for the tips! I'm really excited for this opportunity, especially since it's an artist whose music I really really enjoy.

Good luck! Have fun :)

Most reactions

Back