some random shots with my nikon d40

#8...next time shoot verticle.
You are beautiful, just becareful about giving to much info. on the web.

Maybe a stupid question, but what does it mean when people say a photo is just a snapshot - aren't all photos snapshots

no, a snaphot is just a "hey look at that!"-point-click- "now I have a memory of that thing (often in an auto mode taken for a quick memory, or to show soemone something) a photograph is when you look at the object in the viewfinder, adjust composition, balance, meter for the subject, adjust your settings accordingly, and spend some time on the photos. It's not uncommon for the first few pictues someone takes with their DSLR to look snapshotty.

I agree ^^^. But as you learn things will start to come naturally to you, also I think that your pictures might be more interesting if you thought about the composition more and some of the subjects don't appeal to me but that is just my opinion

both girls are very good subjects (you and your friend).

As dslrnoob (man that name just doesn't sound right you know a lot!) a snapshot is different then a "photograph". for a photograph to be good it has to be thought out, now it may be a "i was in the right place at the exact perfect second" but in most cases the photographer looks at the situation and imagines the finished product, then shoots. At least thats how my mind works :) but i'm a noob

composition is the way the photo looks placement wise. where to place the main subject, framing the shot, what elements will be in the photograph, whether or not they will help or hinder the final product.

a big point for composition is rule of thirds (google it you'll find a lot) its a simple "technique" that really can make the difference between a snapshot and a photograph. here is a link that has basics on composition
http://asp.photo.free.fr/Composition/photoProgramCompMainClass.shtml

thank you! fellow nj-er. that helped a lot. ive heard of the rule of thirds before and was confused by it, but now i understand it a lot better with examples. at first i thought it was stupid but since i saw before and afters it really does make a difference. of course there is always exceptions for certain scenarios and subjects. i asked this question in another thread. what foundations do you think are nessecary to make up a good photograph? well after researching ive sort of answered my own question. this is the list i think

1. subject. (most important, imo atleast. if u have a strong enough subject the rest of the prinicples dont really matter, to me)
2. lighting/colors/tonal and general feeling. the like.
3. composition/ focal point etc etc

these are all but my opinion of course

and of course having a good quality camera will make everything look better.

im going to just drive around this weekend looking for interesting subjects to shoot. and im going to really think about the rule of thirds and my composition, framing etc. and really just think about it. and i understand what a majority of u are saying about my photos looking "snapshotty" and ur right because they are. i was geniuly being like "oh okay thats cool *snap*" but thanks for everyones help, i understand a lot more all ready and im looking forward to learning more. like i said its a hobby but thats not reason to be bad at it. :hugs: but thanks for all the kind words and encouragment. i will post some of my better photos at a later point so you can tell me if you think ive improved.

glad you are getting encouraged :) please please PLEASE keep on posting your shots i look forward (espec if they're self portraits)

NJ is a great place to drive around and look for places to photograph (at least around where i am) don't be afraid to take what may seem like a boring picture, try different angles and stuff like that and chances are you can make it interesting.

as far as "whats necessary" i think that changes for every person, every photograph, every location. but i could very well be wrong too haha :). and remember there are no set rules its an art so its all about how you see it... just don't take it to hard when some one else sees it as something totally different.

enjoy :) fellow nj-er

yeah thats why i love it so much. b/c u can never be wrong, what can be complete **** to someone else could be brilliant to another. thats why is it strictly a hobby because in order to make money in the industry u must spend a lot and its hard to please all the people all the time. and if one day i do evolve and get great and people want me to take pics of them, i wont charge because i enjoy doing it. what part of nj do you live in? i live in south about 5 minutes away from camden. that would be a great place to take pics but im wayyyy to scared hahahaha. maybe one day ill grow the balls. metaphorically speaking. i just want an open field to take pictures of, im big of nature. do you have any recomendations for parks that have good scenery? also im a water person:drool:

central jersey, the shore. camden would be a great place, the buddy system (ya sounds like your a 5 year old i know) is always a good way to do things especially photography, if your busy looking through the camera you could have NO idea what is going on around you. i was at the beach once in Asbury wasnt paying much attention to what was going on and i almost got ran over by a couple of runners on the boardwalk.

nature is one of my favorite things to shoot too, you have a lot of options of what to shoot.

yeah its scarey. my best friend is into phorotgraphy too, so i guess shell be my buddy. im sure shell be up for it. anyway thanks for all your help. and everyone else too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back