some random shots with my nikon d40

I like 1,3, 21 for me. I don't think you'll get very good results converting an image to infrared in PS. Did you mean shooting an infrared image and processing it in PS?

thanks. well i tried to look up tutorials on how to do it in PS, and i did any okay job making it only black and white. but i want to learn how to do it in trippy colors. how can i shoot IR other wise?

thanks. well i tried to look up tutorials on how to do it in PS, and i did any okay job making it only black and white. but i want to learn how to do it in trippy colors. how can i shoot IR other wise?

Hi Lorielle. I've never had much luck with the conversion in any software. You can buy or convert your camera to an infrared camera. This is not practical since it can only be used for IR. The other and more practical thing to do is buy an infrared filter to add to your lens. This can be pretty tricky as it causes very slow shutter speeds. You also need to save a custom WB unless you shoot RAW. I tried it some time ago with an old Rebel XT I had. I had limited success with the time I spent on it. For the final image, it needs processed (PSP or PS) by making changes to color, brightness and contrast, Hue and Saturation.

There are some tuts out there on how to do this. I have no idea which are the best tho.

hope that helps ya

Nice photos overall but if you want to get help with your photography don't post 21 shots and expect people to take the time to look through them all and give real criticisms. Take one or two of you best shots and just post those with either a specific question or asking for general comments. If you post as many as you did you'll often gain only numbers to the photos people liked without reason.

For me #4 is a favorite except its a bit overexposed. Also perhaps reframeing it to use the rule of thirds would produce a better effect.

I really like 12 and 13! most of them are pretty good.

I tried editing the 12th one quickly

7xlneo2.jpg

I just played copied the layer and set the new layer to overlay, then fooled with levels and contrast in both levels and then the opacity of the overlay layer.

You should work on some self portraits, if that's you in #1. Although I not particulalrly drawn by the angle of this photo and the on-camera flash was a little harsh which shows and there are a couple of hot spots on the pouting lower lip. You have some wicked shape to your eyes and the color is very intriqueing. I think red heads rock.

On #2, it would have been great if patience could have prevailed and caught him/her with an eye cocked open.

I'd like to see #8 in portrait with the his nose in view. DOF is nice.

Some nice shots and some snapshots thru to #21. Very distracting that one. In case I forgot to mention it before, you may wish to consider doing self portraits. Just a thought.....and please post the results.

All seriousness aside, congrats on your new D40. You have some nice shots in this series Have fun and take lots of photos. Just be mindful of your environment. For instance, the bike in the tree is humorous, but the fence in the bg takes away from it.

Those pictures look like the kind of pictures I took the first day I got my XT, here I am a year later and I've improved SO much over my first shots, it'll happen to you too and you'll look back at these and go "They're good, but what I am shooting now is so much better!" #21 is amazing and #18 is my 2nd favorite because you never know how those blurred shots are going to turn out and the symmetry of that one would be hard to replicate.

here is a demonstration of the difference 1 year makes

Some of my first shots:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71323

and I know you saw the thanksgiving pics also here is another good picture I'm proud of,
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/eastermonkey/Automotive Photography/GT.jpg

I really love docu shots.

Great to see the photoshopping, the more you experiment the better you'll become at it, tis how I learnt from when I got my D50.

Infrared. What Photoshop version do you have? It's a piece of p*ss in CS3.

36247079lj9.jpg

some good shots. if you want to get into self portraits you could rework number 21, while its sort a "snapshot" its also got some good tight cropping which is is big plus if you can get tight cropping in the camera and not in your post processing. also i like 14, simple yet elegant

thanks colddow, i like the way it turned out. and dslr noob, thanks i really like the mustand picture. like i said u no im just messing around having some fun. but i do want to take some amazing photos in my lifetime. but thanks for the adivce, i know im not great but i think i have potential. and thanks, yes that is my in #1. oh and my cat in #2 was sleeping, and when i try to get snapshots of her eyes, she closes them she hates the flash hahaha. #7 is the closest i got to her eyes being fully open. haha and i like infra cat. also i think #20 would lick wicked with some color infrared, the sky color is beautiful to me.

heres 3 more i took today - i no my Ps skills are whack but i am learning. oh yeah i have ps2

columnetc023copy.jpg

cherries over a glass table

columnetc026.jpg

watermelon2.jpg

i think the last is my fav of the three. thanks for everyones input tho! mucho appriciated

They're all kind of boring and there is no real composition in most. I suggest more interesting subjects, tbh. They all seem rather snapshotty.

Maybe a stupid question, but what does it mean when people say a photo is just a snapshot - aren't all photos snapshots

Most reactions

New Topics

Back