Some UV Filter truth.

I'll now ask a question with an obvious answer. Which do you believe will degrade image quality the most over the long haul? The UV filter, or the constant cleaning of the front element?

IQ is often degraded by bad digital editing. I'm unsure there is an obvious answer. I haven't seen an image that undoubtably struck me as degraded by use of a UV filter, neither an image spoilt by soft cleaning marks. Poor exposures, camera shake, excessive use of USM, Levels, Curves seem a more common 'degrader'.

Cheap UV filters do degrade and expensive ones aren't going to do anything more than a lens hood in most cases.. Personally, I don't use filters unless there is a high risk of flying debris. Mainly things that can have different chemical properties and reactions with the glass and coatings. ( Mud at a motocross track that may have oil or gas or a multitude of other crap mixed in with it , salt water mist etc. ) Other than that, I don't see much use. Where exactly are you shooting at that you are destroying optics by constant cleaning. I have had my L glass for over a year now and have yet to clean any of them other than the occasional quick blow off. If it ever needs a good cleaning, I will take it in to have the entire thing professionally cleaned. If you like dumping money on High end UV filters, to each his own. I will laugh my way to the bank though :)

No, because the issue with flying debris is impact damage. Dust particles are to small and light for that to happen.

For me the UV filter isn't really about stopping impact damage as the glass on the filter is only very thin - so its only going to protect against very light impact damage. However some small particls (esp something like sand) can be very abrasive and when shooting in a very dusty/sandy/muddy environment you might well end up needing to quickly wipe the front glass clean to keep shooting clear. Then the UV filter is coming into its own as it lets you quickly wipe the front glass and lose the smaller particles, without risking your front glass getting a scratch (granted agood UV filter is going to be $100 or thereabouts, but that is a lot cheaper and won't leave you without a lens if it gets a few little scratches on the glass.

Would horse show arena dust count as flying debris?
just dust I wouldn't worry much about. I would be more worried about an unsealed body and how your lens zooms if there was excessive dust. ( If it doesn't zoom internally you have the risk of creating a vacuum when you zoom out that sucks dust in. ) My flying debris was more liquid related. Things that can get on your glass and then either degrade the optics through chemical reaction, or dry and adhere making it much harder to remove without damaging the glass.

Edit: if we are talking high wind dust storm type conditions, thats different. If its just airborne particles being kicked up by the horses, I wouldn't worry much but thats just me.

Okay, cool. My lens does not zoom internally, but the horse show I'm headed to in a week has two arenas, one sand and one grass. I'll be taking pictures of both rings, but at least half the time I won't have to worry much.

I need to convince my father to front me money for a lens. *snort* HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Ah, well. I can dream.

Most reactions

Back