Some X-Mas ideas Telephoto or Macro

nico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm at a dilemma here and I come to you good people of the forum.
I'm looking to get either a good telephoto or macro lens. Around the price of $300, are there any good lenses out there. Being this is only my second lens for my Rebel XT (first being the standard 18-55mm) I don't think it needs to be outstanding.

Now personally, I would like a macro lens but from my research I can't find anything under 500 (unless you tell me otherwise). So I figured a telephoto lens would be good for some great bird shots (I'm in an area where there's all sorts of beautiful cardinals and blue jays during the spring).

I know there are other lenses besides Canon I could go with but in all honesty don't know where to begin in my search.

GwagDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.GwagDesigns.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
How about a Sigma 70-300 Apo DG? its around 220 on BH Photo, ive read a lot of good things about it, (which is why i just bought it :D) AND it has macro capability in the 200-300 range. A good beginner zoom/macro lens for a amateur like me in my opinion. If you want some reading, go here http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Sigma-70-300mm-F4-56-APO-DG-Macro

cameramike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedifilippo.com
Photos OK to edit
sigma has a 70-300 f4-5.6 surely not a fast lens but it seems to have good reviews and is 200$

http://www.adorama.com/SG70300DAEOS.html
for 300 you can't get an IS or L series so i've heard that going with other brands is better then canon, but i have no idea other then what i've heard.

gwag beat me to it! haha

JIP

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score

Michael L.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Any of the above, or go to eBay and get a good used version of whatever you want. I've seen decent macro lenses under $200 there.

OP
N

nico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Lots of options here that have me interested.

Anyone have any sample shots they'd like to show of the
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro?

Most reactions

New Topics