Somebody please help

jpstroot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I love taking pictures of stock car racing, This past wed. I went to Bristol for the hooters pro cup and nascar truck race - the hooters race was during daylight and came out gr8, but the truck race was at night and all I got was a big blurrrr, What did I do wrong

Welcome to TPF jpstroot!

Even though the night race appeared bright to our eyes, it was really much, much darker than daylight. Your camera adjusted by slowing down the shutter speed quite a bit, which then caused that motion blur.

I have a Maxxum 50 SRL is there anything I can do next time to changes this

You will need to learn the basics of exposure. This means you have to know the relationship between aperture and shutter speed.

To get sharp pictures of racing cars, you will need a fairly fast shutter speed. You could set your shutter speed manually but you will have to open up the aperture accordingly to get proper exposure. Unfortunately lenses can only open so big...so unless you can get close enough to use a flash, or shoot under bright lights...you will get blurry or dark shots.

Also, faster film (ISO 800 or 1600) will make it easier to get proper shutter speeds.

To shoot high speed racing cars at night you may need to invest in a very powerful flash. When I worked at the camera store we sold a lot of big strobes with portable battery systems to guys photographing NASCAR.

Look around and see if you can get to know some of the other guys shooting at the track. See what kind of equipment they are using, and what results they are getting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back