Something i wanted to point out.

This is one of the reason i state why the GFX 100 is no where near or close to as good as the Hasslebald H6 Becuase the GFX100 even tho it's a cropped Medium Format it only produces 8 bit colors, where the Hasselblad H6 produces real true 16 Bit,....

The ADC in the Fuji GFX 100 is 16 bit just like the one in the Hasselblad H6. To say the Fuji GFX only produces 8 bit colors is just ridiculously wrong.

"At the core of the GFX 100 is its new 102-megapixel backside-illuminated image sensor. This image sensor offers the same ISO range as the 51-megapixel sensor found in the GFX 50S and 50R while delivering a much larger image and 16-bit depth." Fuji GFX 100 Field Test: An expensive camera which delivers great image quality & performance

Joe
The GFX 100 does NOT produce true 16 bit, it does compressed but not Full Raw
and it's a Crop sensor medium format not True Full Medium format, the GFX 100 sensor size is
33 × 44mm
the Hasselblad h6 sensor size is 53.4 x 40mm

GFX 100 is not full true medium format, it's basically a crop medium format sensor, like the Nikon D7100 is a crop of the Nikon D850

This is one of the reason i state why the GFX 100 is no where near or close to as good as the Hasslebald H6 Becuase the GFX100 even tho it's a cropped Medium Format it only produces 8 bit colors, where the Hasselblad H6 produces real true 16 Bit,....

The ADC in the Fuji GFX 100 is 16 bit just like the one in the Hasselblad H6. To say the Fuji GFX only produces 8 bit colors is just ridiculously wrong.

"At the core of the GFX 100 is its new 102-megapixel backside-illuminated image sensor. This image sensor offers the same ISO range as the 51-megapixel sensor found in the GFX 50S and 50R while delivering a much larger image and 16-bit depth." Fuji GFX 100 Field Test: An expensive camera which delivers great image quality & performance

Joe

You are flatly wrong. Here's the Dpreview run down on the GFX in which you can verify that you are wrong. Fujifilm GFX 100 review I grabbed a screen shot of the specs that shows you are wrong. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

specs-GFX.jpg

Last edited:

Joe

You are flatly wrong. Here's the Dpreview run down on the GFX in which you can verify that you are wrong. Fujifilm GFX 100 review I grabbed a screen shot of the specs that shows you are wrong. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

View attachment 194045
Right i see the specs but it says Raw 14/16-bit but it only does the 16 bit raw compressed.

Joe

View attachment 194045
Right i see the specs but it says Raw 14/16-bit but it only does the 16 bit raw compressed.

You are wrong. Fuji offers both compressed and uncompressed raw files for both the 14 and 16 bit options for the GFX. Here's a reference: diglloyd.com: Fujifilm GFX100: File Sizes in 16-bit vs 14-bit Capture (diglloyd.com excerpt)

In any case so what if you used the compressed raw. The compression Fuji uses is lossless and so has no effect on image quality -- it's just a file size compression not a lossy compression.

Please note that you are now acknowledging that you see the GFX provides 14 and 16 bit raw. You originally made this nonsense claim: "Becuase the GFX100 even tho it's a cropped Medium Format it only produces 8 bit colors,..." and said the GFX only produces 8 bit colors.

Joe

Most d-slr cameras have offered 12 bit raw for over 15 years now. I have no idea where you are coming up with all this 8-bit nonsense.

And,cough,cough, magazines published with a 180 line screen looked fantastic back in the 6- megapixel era...the screen cuts the resolution wayyyyyy down....

Joe

View attachment 194045

You are wrong. Fuji offers both compressed and uncompressed raw files for both the 14 and 16 bit options for the GFX. Here's a reference: diglloyd.com: Fujifilm GFX100: File Sizes in 16-bit vs 14-bit Capture (diglloyd.com excerpt)

In any case so what if you used the compressed raw. The compression Fuji uses is lossless and so has no effect on image quality -- it's just a file size compression not a lossy compression.

Please note that you are now acknowledging that you see the GFX provides 14 and 16 bit raw. You originally made this nonsense claim: "Becuase the GFX100 even tho it's a cropped Medium Format it only produces 8 bit colors,..." and said the GFX only produces 8 bit colors.

Joe

Did not acknowledging that at all, I said True 16 bit, and compressed is a big difference, first of lossy compression , is not what you think if the file size is smaller then there is information still missing as not compress has more information.

And my point also was about the banding and all that, you still get the banding with the GFX 100 as h6 you do not.
i've tested this, Plus Fujifilm no matter medium format or not them sensors on the fujifilm camera's cause major banding and moire, they are notorious for banding and moire more so then lets say Nikon or Canon.
People have notice strange looks in the pictures going into lightroom they called it wormy waves when you zoom it in real close, this is because of the X-trans sensors, Lightroom doesn't know the full interpretation of the images from Fujifilm X-Trans Sensors.
This has been a know issue, that is why Phase One released a special version of capture one, just for the Fujifilm camera's with X-Trans Sensors.

Lightroom to this day has not, they came up with a so called fix for the wormy patterns but it really doesn't fully fix it 100%.

And this is probably what is making the banding and moire worst then other camera's..

Most d-slr cameras have offered 12 bit raw for over 15 years now. I have no idea where you are coming up with all this 8-bit nonsense.

And,cough,cough, magazines published with a 180 line screen looked fantastic back in the 6- megapixel era...the screen cuts the resolution wayyyyyy down....
that's because it was for the print of the magazine, they didn't just take the pictures for just the magazines, they had high quality photo books they sold, and also other things they sold these pictures on other then magazines.
other wise when they was an important shoot they wouldn't want medium format for just a picture showing up on a magazine stand, (cough, cough)
Playboy for example Marketed tons of their pictures in many ways not just magazines..

As a matter of fact Arney Freytag, of playboy would never allow any of the photographers to use 35 mm it was strictly medium format only.
Arney Freytag was the Lead And Director of Arney Freytag Of Playboy enterprise..

Last edited:

Joe

View attachment 194045

Joe

Did not acknowledging that at all,

Yes you did: Something i wanted to point out. "Right i see the specs but it says Raw 14/16-bit but it only does the 16 bit raw compressed."

I said True 16 bit,
You are clueless. What then is "untrue" 16 bit?

and compressed is a big difference, first of lossy compression ,
The GFX offers uncompressed 16 bit raw files. The compression option that is available is not lossy.

is not what you think
It is exactly what I think -- lossless compression that reduces the file size without any loss of data.

if the file size is smaller then there is information still missing as not compress has more information.

You said: "This is one of the reason i state why the GFX 100 is no where near or close to as good as the Hasslebald H6 Becuase the GFX100 even tho it's a cropped Medium Format it only produces 8 bit colors, where the Hasselblad H6 produces real true 16 Bit,...."

And that is ridiculous rubbish.

Each response you've offered since has been more ridiculous rubbish.

Last edited:

Joe

View attachment 194045

Joe

Did not acknowledging that at all,

Yes you did: Something i wanted to point out. "Right i see the specs but it says Raw 14/16-bit but it only does the 16 bit raw compressed."

I said True 16 bit,
You are clueless. What then is "untrue" 16 bit?

and compressed is a big difference, first of lossy compression ,
The GFX offers uncompressed 16 bit raw files. The compression option that is available is not lossy.

is not what you think
It is exactly what I think -- lossless compression that reduces the file size without any loss of data.

if the file size is smaller then there is information still missing as not compress has more information.

You said: "This is one of the reason i state why the GFX 100 is no where near or close to as good as the Hasslebald H6 Becuase the GFX100 even tho it's a cropped Medium Format it only produces 8 bit colors, where the Hasselblad H6 produces real true 16 Bit,...."

And that is ridiculous rubbish.

Each response you've offered since has been more ridiculous rubbish.
i'm not arguing with you any more, and it's not rubbish, go look at a h6 16 bit color shot and then a gfx100, big difference.
i'm done with arguing, and by the way before the digital day, playboy was shot on medium format for general magazine pictures, Centerfold was 8X10 Film..
just in case you have some sort of stupid argument about Medium format quality and full frame quality..

Arney Freytag was a master photographer. He was fantastic with lighting. I recall one BTS shot he did which showed the 19 lights he used for one centerfold shot...he used a lot of lights.

A lot of 1980's working methods have changed. But 4-color books still use 180- to 220- line screens for halftones....even the very highest-quality books need fairly low megapixel counts to make good reproductions.

The use of medium format digital is more about shallow DOF and a particular "look" than either bit depth or MP count.

I'm just fine with my Nikon, and none of this fascinating argument has compelled me to spend as much money as a small sedan would cost just for snob appeal. Just my personal opinion.

I plan on buying another Nikon D610 this week.

If I weren't already a nihilist before this thread, I would be now.

Most reactions

Back