Something Waterproof

Gromit801

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’ve been looking for a digital camera that would be considered waterproof, to take with me on kayak trips. I’m looking for something with an actual viewfinder, not a screen (they’re too hard to see in a lot of sunlight conditions, or wearing polarized sunglasses). Plus a viewfinder makes it easier to shoot one handed if necessary. Any suggestions?

I currently use a Panansonic Lumix. It is as good as any of the other waterproofs and better than some. Don't expect great images from any if them. No better than smartphone photos. They are fine for posting online or prints up to 5 X 7. I have gotten some nice underwater images with it and always have it with me on the kayak. The Lumix is the only one with a viewfinder so that limits your options. Mine came with a silicone cover but I don't think the new ones do. It is great to protect the camera and increases your grip in wet weather. It they are available, I would consider getting one.

Last edited:
What is your budget?

I have four bodies that are water sealed:

Full Frame:
Canon R6: $2600 - this is mirrorless and you said you don't want mirrorless - the only reason I don't take it on my kayak is its value
Canon 6D Mark II - I think new it is around $1000ish now (I paid a lot more) but I doubt they will build it much longer
APS-C:
Canon 50D - I paid a friend $150 used
Canon 30D - I paid $50 at a Goodwill - I think it is water sealed but for $50 it is almost expendable

Keep in mind that you also MUST have a water sealed lens. The lowest cost water sealed lens I have is a Tamron 18-400 super zoom. I paid $700. It claims to be sealed and I have had it out on the kayak but I'm still careful to minimize its exposure to water. The Canon L series lenses I have are considerable more expensive. They're built like tanks and I have no fear of getting them wet and have on numerous occasions. I had one out in the rain today.

BTW, I would not shy away from the new mirrorless cameras if they fit your budget. The only time I really know which viewfinder I'm looking through is when I go back the DSLR. The mirorless adjusts what I'm are seeing to match the exposure settings. The DSLR cannot. On the DSLR you have to review the shot. So with mirrorlesss, no more chimping. Take the shot and you know you've got it because you saw it through the viewfinder as you activate the shutter.

Most reactions

Back