Sony 70mm to 300mm 4.5 to 5.6 G lens

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just picked this up yesterday. Not to be confused with the kit lens. This one is solidly built, 62 diameter for filters, and with a very quiet SSM autofocus motor. Distances are also marked on the lens up to 50 feet and infinity. Zoom and manual focus rings are reversed in terms of location on the lens but it is not tremendously difficult to get used to.

Sharpness is surprising. I was able to clearly read letters of about 2 inches high from a distance of 50 feet when looking at the shot on the LCD screen. I was also impressed by good colour at a distance with no obvious UV deadening of colours. Super low dispersion glass reduces the possibility of chromatic aberration. I did not see any in test shots.

skieur

you better post some samples! It sounds like this is a really good lens, and has been selling out a lot of places. I'd buy it, but i kind of need something in a 2.8 for one of my little photo jobs and cant really afford anything other than the sigma 70-200 right now

Yes, I wanted the Sigma 70mm to 200mm 2.8 as well, but they are sold out or not available in any quantity, so they disappear fast. I bought the 70mm to 300mm because I am going to be doing some extensive outdoor shooting during the whole month of July.

skieur

they arent available yet. I was told late june/early july, but i've had my pre-order in since may

they arent available yet. I was told late june/early july, but i've had my pre-order in since may

My camera store in Canada said they already had sold 3 which I assume were probably pre-ordered. Maybe yours will be in very soon in your location.

skieur

Wow ... $800 pricetag! Do you feel it is worth it?

Hmmm ... or is it the $300 one? (link)

Wow ... $800 pricetag! Do you feel it is worth it?

Hmmm ... or is it the $300 one? (link)

This is 70mm to 300mm, NOT 75mm to 300mm which is the $300 one.

It is the $800 pricetag and yes you get what you pay for. No chromatic aberration or purple fringing as in the cheaper one (your link) due to low dispersion glass in this one.. No plasticky feel. Solid and well built. Quiet and fast autofocus motor and great sharpness with the Sony A350 at 14.2 megapixels.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back