Sony a6000 for a beginner?

torret

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I really wanted to upgrade my DSLR to a mirrorless. Brought a Sony a6000 for the market price, which is over $600. I am wondering if it is worth the price or if there is better out there for the money? Thoughts?

I was working with a Nikon D7000, which I didn't love honestly. I can get great pictures with it but I found aspects of the autofocus and other features annoying. (I know everyone raves about them.) Before that, I had a Nikon D3200. It was what it was and no complaints.

I have only had the a6000 for a day and have not really had much of a chance to play around with it yet. The pictures from today seem soft and low light seems to be a problem. I love the size of the camera and the viewfinder with the ability to view the LCD screen inside it.

Can you recommend a better mirrorless camera in the same price range?

TIA!

I have the A6300, and I use the LA-EA4 adapter on it to continue using my a-mount lens. I LOVE IT. I had to get used to back-button focusing on it, because it's so small, but I'm enjoying the results. The 6300 was an big upgrade from the a6000, and I hear the a6500 is even better.
See attached pic. Used with adapter and Sony 50mm SAM
marked_DSC4865.jpg

Hello all,

I really wanted to upgrade my DSLR to a mirrorless. Brought a Sony a6000 for the market price, which is over $600. I am wondering if it is worth the price or if there is better out there for the money? Thoughts?

I was working with a Nikon D7000, which I didn't love honestly. I can get great pictures with it but I found aspects of the autofocus and other features annoying. (I know everyone raves about them.) Before that, I had a Nikon D3200. It was what it was and no complaints.

I have only had the a6000 for a day and have not really had much of a chance to play around with it yet. The pictures from today seem soft and low light seems to be a problem. I love the size of the camera and the viewfinder with the ability to view the LCD screen inside it.

TIA!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Janet sure is right, but the a6300 and a6500 have a much higher price tag. The a6000 is definitely the best bang for the bug in its pricerange. I do own the a6000 and the a7rII and I´m still impressed about the a6000 considering it costs so much less.
And at the moment I don´t think any other manufacturer get´s anywhere near to sony in the mirrorless market in every regard.

the a6000 is a performer for sure, but I'm still not entirely thrilled with the controls and menu.

I have the A6300, and I use the LA-EA4 adapter on it to continue using my a-mount lens. I LOVE IT. I had to get used to back-button focusing on it, because it's so small, but I'm enjoying the results. The 6300 was an big upgrade from the a6000, and I hear the a6500 is even better.
See attached pic. Used with adapter and Sony 50mm SAMView attachment 130606

Janet,

The pup is a cutie! Thanks for the info and the pic. I was wondering about the 6300 and 6500. Good to hear they are worth the investment. In terms of lenses, I guess they are one of the big drawbacks with this camera series. The adapter and a-mount lenses seem to work well from the pics I have seen. I am curious if the adapter adds a lot of bulk? Guessing it's not major.

Last edited:
Hello all,

TIA!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Janet sure is right, but the a6300 and a6500 have a much higher price tag. The a6000 is definitely the best bang for the bug in its pricerange. I do own the a6000 and the a7rII and I´m still impressed about the a6000 considering it costs so much less.
And at the moment I don´t think any other manufacturer get´s anywhere near to sony in the mirrorless market in every regard.

Thank you for the welcome and the information! When I chose the a6000, I considered the quality of pictures that I liked on photo sharing sites such as Flickr as well as what I could afford to spend. Especially with all of the post editing re: PS and the like, I am unsure this was a solid method but agree that the pictures taken with the a6000 that I viewed seemed among the best in their class.

Reviews of the a6000 mention there are better mirrorless cameras re: low light conditions but do not specify the models they feel are superior?

the a6000 is a performer for sure, but I'm still not entirely thrilled with the controls and menu.

Thanks for the response! This is my first Sony camera and I have only had it for a day or so. I am still working my way through them. Guess it may take awhile?

Hello all,

TIA!

Thank you for the welcome and the information! When I chose the a6000, I considered the quality of pictures that I liked on photo sharing sites such as Flickr as well as what I could afford to spend. Especially with all of the post editing re: PS and the like, I am unsure this was a solid method but agree that the pictures taken with the a6000 that I viewed seemed among the best in their class.

Reviews of the a6000 mention there are better mirrorless cameras re: low light conditions but do not specify the models they feel are superior?
The best low light camera is the a7s (II). But first it only has 12 mpix, which is just very little compared to others, and second it costs substantially more. I think one has to be fair when comparing cameras and do it within the same price range.

Hello all,

TIA!

The best low light camera is the a7s (II). But first it only has 12 mpix, which is just very little compared to others, and second it costs substantially more. I think one has to be fair when comparing cameras and do it within the same price range.

A full frame Sony camera - my dream but it would be more than double the cost of an a6000. Agree re: consideration of cost in comparisons.

Thanks for the response! This is my first Sony camera and I have only had it for a day or so. I am still working my way through them. Guess it may take awhile?

I'm just so used to SLR controls and the nikon menus. I think the Sony controls leave little to be desired. Changing settings and making on the fly adjustments is difficult imho.

When I get home this evening, I'll post a pic with the adapter on it. It's not a major bulk at all. Of course, I'd love to have all native lenses, but that will take some time.
I've also taken active soccer pics with the a6300, and e-mount 55-210mm sony lens. Worked like a charm after I turned the "auto review" setting off. I'll try to get one of those on here tonight, too.

By the way, on the pic of my puppy Zigg, there is a window with closed blinds behind me. Only natural light... that is not a flash.

Janet,

The pup is a cutie! Thanks for the info and the pic. I was wondering about the 6300 and 6500. Good to hear they are worth the investment. In terms of lenses, I guess they are one of the big drawbacks with this camera series. The adapter and a-mount lenses seem to work well from the pics I have seen. I am curious if the adapter adds a lot of bulk? Guessing it's not major.

Just ask questions... once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back. But whatever you do, turn off that auto-review. That drives me nuts! lol

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but … this is your third modern and very capable interchangeable-lens camera. If you're not getting the sort of quality you wish or see in others' photos, clearly it's not the camera to fault here. Work on your technique and honing your skills.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but … this is your third modern and very capable interchangeable-lens camera. If you're not getting the sort of quality you wish or see in others' photos, clearly it's not the camera to fault here. Work on your technique and honing your skills.

As a lurker, I was annoyed by posts like these, which seem frequent on this message board. To whatever question a newbie asks, the response from the trolls is always, 'You're just not a good enough photographer!'

Can I ask where I said that I was not getting the quality I wanted?

It was just time for an upgrade and I wanted a smaller, lighter mirrorless. ::shrugs::

When I get home this evening, I'll post a pic with the adapter on it. It's not a major bulk at all. Of course, I'd love to have all native lenses, but that will take some time.
I've also taken active soccer pics with the a6300, and e-mount 55-210mm sony lens. Worked like a charm after I turned the "auto review" setting off. I'll try to get one of those on here tonight, too.

By the way, on the pic of my puppy Zigg, there is a window with closed blinds behind me. Only natural light... that is not a flash.

Janet,

Zigg is such a cutie! The light in that shot is perfect.

I didn't have much time yesterday because finals are coming but I used what little time I had to putter. You are right! I am already in love with the camera!

I am so used to having to do all kinds of things to compensate for harsh light. One of the many things this camera does well is automatically just for it.

A shot from yesterday:
Optimized-lighthouse.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back