sony a77

Cosmonaut, I am glad you have posted your personal examples.

I am not one to state my camera (brand/model) is better than anyone else's, but I do appreciate someone who show's what their camera can do by example.

The a77 has AFed when the light was so low I had to shine a flashlight to manually focus. Trust me the low light AF is more than you will need unless you plan on shooting in a cave.

anyone have any pictures taken with the sony a77 in low light i cannot decide if i want to buy it considering a lot of my pictures will be taken with low light. and does anyone have any hdr shots with it.. using the cameras hdr i looked online but still cant decide

I have tried HDR on my A55 a couple of times ... I would suggest to do this in Software, not in-camera ... more control.

The NEX 7 uses a red beam to focus. As long as the beam can hit what you are aiming at it will focus. I used it last night shooting a ballet and I could see the red beam hitting the back of the stage with the lights off and the camera focused with no hunting. I was about 60 ft from the back of the stage.

Wow...talk about unobtrusive low-light shooting...a red light blasting the performers on-stage in a ballet...NOT!

The NEX 7 uses a red beam to focus. As long as the beam can hit what you are aiming at it will focus. I used it last night shooting a ballet and I could see the red beam hitting the back of the stage with the lights off and the camera focused with no hunting. I was about 60 ft from the back of the stage.
Wow...talk about unobtrusive low-light shooting...a red light blasting the performers on-stage in a ballet...NOT!
Yeah, sorry they are 3200. The red beam is not noticable unless the lights are real low, but I tend to agree, NOT for something like that. It was very noticable. I can imagine popping one of the girls in the eye.lol The a77 doesn't shoot the beam but focuses just as well.

The thing is, I own both an can seperate myth from facts. The a77 is a stunning camera. Better than Nikon or Canon, no but certainly equal. Unless you go full frame you can not beat this camera. Its not the next coming. But a damn good camera.

icon_flog.gif

I agree we are beating the horse but maybe this will help and I am out of here. I was once in a guitar store and they were selling a Stevie Ray Vaughn Fender addition guitar set up identical to what he used. I picked it up and tried to play it and the neck was so wide I couldn't get my hands around it, the strings were higher, to far apart and like bending fence wire, the mans hands must have been huge and incredible strength. The seller at the store said most couldn't play it well but still it was a big seller.
I think cameras are the same. You must find something you like and can use, something you are comfortable with and can trust. If you shoot something else just because of someone else you will only hurt yourself. When I chose the NEX7 I chose it because of it's ease of shooting in manual, something I learned before cameras had program mode, with the two top dials, not because it's cool. I remember when the NEX series first come out many laughed and considered it ugly. I saw a tool that looked comfortable to hold compared to the other compacts I had used. I kept dropping the EP-1.
Shoot what gets the job done. If you look at fanboys galleries they usually sux cause they are trying to make something work they are uncomfortable with, chose your own path. I shot Olympus for five years with people looking down their noses at me. But I could make them do what I wanted. I never had to worry with dust on the sensor and could shoot three stops slower than the next guy woithout dropping a wad on VR glass. I could even use vintage glass with IS. Everyone else jumped on the bandwagon after Olympus invented dust removal, in body image stabilization, and now mirrorless cameras. Everyone tends to forget that fact, now they are planning something else new, no one knows what? Everyone is looking for the next big thing that will put them over the top. I generally shot a camera until I have no use for it. I went to Sony because I wanted a real wide lens that Olympus didn't offer without spending a lot of money. I didn't want to drop that kind of cash going wide on a system with such an uncertain future. Full Frame wide is real expensive.

cosmonaut said:
I agree we are beating the horse but maybe this will help and I am out of here. I was once in a guitar store and they were selling a Stevie Ray Vaughn Fender addition guitar set up identical to what he used. I picked it up and tried to play it and the neck was so wide I couldn't get my hands around it, the strings were higher, to far apart and like bending fence wire, the mans hands must have been huge and incredible strength. The seller at the store said most couldn't play it well but still it was a big seller.
I think cameras are the same. You must find something you like and can use, something you are comfortable with and can trust. If you shoot something else just because of someone else you will only hurt yourself. When I chose the NEX7 I chose it because of it's ease of shooting in manual, something I learned before cameras had program mode, with the two top dials, not because it's cool. I remember when the NEX series first come out many laughed and considered it ugly. I saw a tool that looked comfortable to hold compared to the other compacts I had used. I kept dropping the EP-1.
Shoot what gets the job done. If you look at fanboys galleries they usually sux cause they are trying to make something work they are uncomfortable with, chose your own path. I shot Olympus for five years with people looking down their noses at me. But I could make them do what I wanted. I never had to worry with dust on the sensor and could shoot three stops slower than the next guy woithout dropping a wad on VR glass. I could even use vintage glass with IS. Everyone else jumped on the bandwagon after Olympus invented dust removal, in body image stabilization, and now mirrorless cameras. Everyone tends to forget that fact, now they are planning something else new, no one knows what? Everyone is looking for the next big thing that will put them over the top. I generally shot a camera until I have no use for it. I went to Sony because I wanted a real wide lens that Olympus didn't offer without spending a lot of money. I didn't want to drop that kind of cash going wide on a system with such an uncertain future. Full Frame wide is real expensive.

There is no such thing as bad camera. Only bad fanboys like howard, tyler, and gary :)

Last edited:
There is no such thing as bad camera. Only bad fanboys like howard, tyler, and gary :)

If you're so bold to imply that you are not a Sony Fanboy, surely you are under the influence of some pretty high potency drugs of whatever variety.

o hey tyler said:
If you're so bold to imply that you are not a Sony Fanboy, surely you are under the influence of some pretty high potency drugs of whatever variety.

Oh yea? How did I become a fanboy? I dare you to prove that lol. None of my statements are biased. Everything I said here are facts. You can't prove me wrong because you know I'm right. Don't put me on your shoes you insecure fanboy! Yea, I am calling you a fanboy. I can prove that. Hehe...

Last edited:
o hey tyler said:

Oh yea? How did I become a fanboy? I dare you to prove that lol.

I can easily prove that ArgieRamos. If I click on your name next to one of your posts, I can go to "View Forum Posts".

Easily 95% of your posts to date have been either defending Sony SLT cameras, or defending the Sony product line in some way or another. That spells out F-A-N-B-O-Y. Try it for yourself, just click on your own name and see how many times you've posted in Sony threads, or defended Sony. I dare you.

There you have it, irrefutable proof.

Get a life. Seriously.

o hey tyler said:
I can easily prove that ArgieRamos. If I click on your name next to one of your posts, I can go to "View Forum Posts".

Easily 95% of your posts to date have been either defending Sony SLT cameras, or defending the Sony product line in some way or another. That spells out F-A-N-B-O-Y. Try it for yourself, just click on your own name and see how many times you've posted in Sony threads, or defended Sony. I dare you.

There you have it, irrefutable proof.

Get a life. Seriously.

Man, I was waiting for you to show some proof. lol. You're a disappointment Tyler. If fanboys say that Pentax K-5 takes bad pictures because its pentax, I would disagree. That will not make me a Pentax fanboy. I am not defending Sony. I am just stating the facts. You guys keep posting some false claim and I am just here making corrections because unlike you, I have used the product and I know what I'm talking about.
If you think of me as a fanboy, I wonder how do you think of yourself. Is there any term worse than fanboy? That will be you. lol

I dare you to prove it. Post it here. I will post some to prove that you are the fanboy when I get home. Watch out! Fanboy!!! Bwuahaha!!!!!

Most reactions

Back