Sony Alpha A100 OR Rebel XTi OR Nikon D40x

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I'm new to photography and don't have my own camera yet, I've been using my dads Lumix FZ30. I'm trying to choose one of three cameras that I've been looking at, the Sony Alpha A100, Canon Digital Rebel XTi, and Nikon D40x. I've read many reviews and they all have similar specs and ratings. I'm really having a hard time deciding which would be the best of them. Any input from you guys would be great, Thanks.

Hey guys. I'm new to photography and don't have my own camera yet, I've been using my dads Lumix FZ30. I'm trying to choose one of three cameras that I've been looking at, the Sony Alpha A100, Canon Digital Rebel XTi, and Nikon D40x. I've read many reviews and they all have similar specs and ratings. I'm really having a hard time deciding which would be the best of them. Any input from you guys would be great, Thanks.
I would try them. Try to find people who have them or go into a store or whatever. I went with the xti because I already had a canon EF lens so there was just really no question for me. Since they are so similar I suggest you pick the one that feels best and you like the controls most on.

Each one has its own perks. Between the 3 however, you not gonna be unhappy with the image quality from anyone. The Sony has the in-camera anti-shake, which is nice so you don't have to fork out a ton of money to get one that has it built in the lens. And Sony is doing a beautiful job make lenses for the maxxum mount the A-100 uses.

The D40x i heard is incredibly easy to use with some fun built in camera adjustments. I wouldn't use these myself, but its there for those who like it. You can find just about anything for nikon cameras, but you can't get some of the older lenses to auto focus on that body, and you'd have to manual focus. That could be a problem for some.

The canon is a nice camera as well. It has the sensor shake, as with the Sony, to clean the sensor of dust. Works fairly nicely.

But if none of those things seem to really pull you in any direction, see which one fits in your hands the best! I have long fingers and the Xti makes me grind my knuckles against the lense, so it's a no go for me. But that's just for example.

Good Luck!

The Sony is a very nice camera. Noise is not too well controlled at high ISO levels compared to some of the competition, but there's always NeatImage or NoiseNinja to help deal with that. Lens availability is ok if you consider the number of used lenses and bodies around and the Minolta lenses still available; but unfortunately some of the Sony-branded lenses are fairly expensive compared to the alternatives. Hopefully Sony will reconsider their pricing by the time their new mid-range and high-end bodies are released. But the A100 is nice and the glass is good.

The Rebel is also an excellent 'entry-level' camera. More importantly it buys you into the Canon lens system. Canon offer more lenses than anyone else, they're available everywhere, and many lenses - including fast primes - are excellent value for money.

The D40x I have trouble recommending. Like the D40 it lacks an autofocus motor, so any lens without internal focus will require manual focus. But more than that, the D40x is simply the D40 with some more pixels stuffed in to attract people away from Canon. Personally I would look at the D40, D50, D70 or if you want the 10mp then the D80. Lens availability is not a problem with Nikon, though lens functions may be limited on the D40 or D40x compared to others in the Nikon range.

After all that, I can't tell you which is best. All I can say is consider that the camera body is just part of the system, so consider what lens or lenses you can afford to include in the purchase, and what lens prices and availability for each system are like within your area. Oh, and stop looking at specs and comparison charts - go to a shop and try them! :)

Bias always comes into play when asking people which one of these three brands to buy. For instance, I own the Sony and love it to death, its my baby, Ill recommend it in a heartbeat. Then someone who owns a canon system will recommend that, etc.

In the end, the best advice youll hear is decide what you will most likely be photographing, pick the camera that has the best characteristics for your choice, then go hold each one and feel which is best. Consider your long term commitment and price range also, as it is most likely when you buy into a brand you will have to stay with that brand because of the money invested in glass and accessories.

Another sidenote, Sigma and other third party brands are starting to make more glass for the sony, so there is a decent alternative to the high Sony glass. Or go round up some Minolta A-mount glass like I have.

I have the sony alpha as well, and i really like the camera, and how it feels. if you're looking for reasons NOT to buy the others, these were mine- The XTi felt really cheap to me. Some claim that it is a nice light portable camera, but i just thought it felt cheap, just my opinion , and thats one reason i didnt buy it. The d40x, as someone else said, has that lens motor issue, which makes it sort of confusing buying lenses and everything. reasons i would choose against the alpha- noise at high ISO is a little bit of a problem, but thats up to you if you think it'll matter, i wouldnt return my camera because of it or anything. probably the only other reason i wouldnt get the alpha is that the hotshoe design isnt standard so you have to buy sony flashes if you want them to work perfectly.

All 3 are capable of great photos. You can't go wrong with this. Although, I think even Nikonians will agree the D40x is a cheap shot at megapixel crazed people moving up from a P&S, and the D40 body platform could use the autofocus motor, soif you go Nikon, go D50, D70, D70s, D80, D100. all but the D80 are discontinued but very good and not too far in price.

The Canon and Sony are both great cameras, and the Nikon too, just not the BEST decision for a serious SLR photograhper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back