Sony DT SAM 50mm 1.8 cannot be used on full frame?

Because they designed that lens to produce a smaller image circle to work on only APS-C sensors. Whereas every other 50mm (that I can think of) from any other manufacturer can be used on both crop frame, and full frame cameras. I believe Sony is the ONLY company to make a 50mm variant for crop frame cameras, and I can't think of a good reason why... Other than to put more money in Sony's pockets when you upgrade to full frame.

The Sony 50mm 1.8 DT is designed for use on crop sensor bodies. (Same and Nikon DX and Canon EF-S) These are lower build quality lenses are meant to be used on consumer level cameras. The 50mm 1.8 DT will mount on a full frame and shoot but will vignette depending on your aperture. If your in the market for a 50mm look into a used Minolta 50mm F1.7 it features a better construction excellent image quality. You can find them used on ebay @75$.

Get a minolta 50mm f1.7 and you can use it on full frame.

Yup, as others have stated ... that lens was specifically designed for APS-C sensors.
Possibly it is cheaper to build.

I use a Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 ... which is full frame.

Not that I am an expert or anything but if Canon can make a 50mm F/1.8 thats dirt cheap and fit on a full frame, why cant sony?

prodigy2k7 said:
Not that I am an expert or anything but if Canon can make a 50mm F/1.8 thats dirt cheap and fit on a full frame, why cant sony?

Who knows what drives corporations decision ? I would guess its more a question of Want than Can.

Sony is only making APS-C camera for the time being. Why bother making FF lenses for the entry level market ?

Why can't canon make a sub $2000 85mm f1.4 lens like Nikon and Sony? Who knows? Realisticaly I would think most people who invest the money in a pro-level FF camera aren't looking to mount entry level glass in front of that camera.

Why can't canon make a sub $2000 85mm f1.4 lens like Nikon and Sony?

Possibly because they make an 85mm f/1.2 for ~$2,000 new?

Kolia said:
Who knows what drives corporations decision ? I would guess its more a question of Want than Can.

Sony is only making APS-C camera for the time being. Why bother making FF lenses for the entry level market ?

I don't know Sony well but isn't the a900 full frame?

prodigy2k7 said:
I don't know Sony well but isn't the a900 full frame?

Yes, the a900 was full frame. Discontinued tho.

Rumors of a99 full frame some day in the future...

No definite date yet on when the new full frame camera will come out or what features and specs it will have. Lots of rumors going around on the web, but I tend not to trust most of them... By the way, ALL the Sony lenses with the DT designation are APS-C lenses...

Most reactions

Back