sony glass or canon glass w/ adaptor?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So thinking about an a7s as a backup photo/video body. My question is should I stick with the canon glass I already have or go with Sony lenses?

My plan would be to get the metabones adaptor but I am unsure of the trade-offs of doing that.

You've probably seen Brian Smith's page on adapters Ultimate Guide to Sony A7 A7R A7S Lens Mount Adapters

He recommends this $99 adapter fairly highly too...FotodioX Adapter for Canon EF and EF-S Lens to EOS AUTO -NEX-P

I dunno...if you did go with adapted Canon lenses it might be nice to have say, three or four separate adapters, perhaps testing each one with the different lenses to make sure it has the exact right machining to get the lens into perfect focus. At $99 a pop, the Fotodiox adapter is a good price. The admittedly expensive Metabones Speed Booster adapter has some neat features, like the 0.71x width increase factor, plus the 1.0 EV GAIN in effective f/stop...now that could be kinda cool!

You've probably seen Brian Smith's page on adapters Ultimate Guide to Sony A7 A7R A7S Lens Mount Adapters

He recommends this $99 adapter fairly highly too...FotodioX Adapter for Canon EF and EF-S Lens to EOS AUTO -NEX-P

I dunno...if you did go with adapted Canon lenses it might be nice to have say, three or four separate adapters, perhaps testing each one with the different lenses to make sure it has the exact right machining to get the lens into perfect focus. At $99 a pop, the Fotodiox adapter is a good price. The admittedly expensive Metabones Speed Booster adapter has some neat features, like the 0.71x width increase factor, plus the 1.0 EV GAIN in effective f/stop...now that could be kinda cool!

I hadn't seen that but I'll have to look.

My thought process is that if I have to spend $300 to get the best adaptor so I can use the lenses I already have its still less expensive than buying a bunch of Sony lenses.

Also I haven't heard good things about some of the Sony lenses.

Good article. I still think is Sony were smart they'd release different mounting options.

I hadn't seen that but I'll have to look.

My thought process is that if I have to spend $300 to get the best adaptor so I can use the lenses I already have its still less expensive than buying a bunch of Sony lenses.

Also I haven't heard good things about some of the Sony lenses.

I'm just now jumping into a Sony A7R, and have the Sony FE 16-35 f/4 - it is an impressive lens. I've also seen insane results from the FE 55 1.8. I'm also in your shoes about using Nikon glass vs. Sony glass. I plan to test both extensively this week.

As far as adapters go, I'd only go with the Novoflex, personally.

If you plan to use auto focus then I suggest just get the Sony lens... the auto focus on the adaptors are very slow. Even with the sony lens, sometimes the focusing becomes a nightmare when the light is tricky.. and I can only imagine it getting worse with adapters...

I have probably the best made adapter for the Sony A7 (Voigtlander close focus)but it is for M mount lenses I have used a cheap eos mount just for fun but I couldn't adjust aperture with my 70-200f4 but the quality of the images was very good, I would not buy the metabones because it is so expensive over here

I recently acquired a Sony 70-300 APO G to use on my Sony A57. It is wicked good. The 18-55mm SAM kit lens greatly under-rated, but I have found it to be very good in every category. why bother with adapters? If you're that picky, get a complete set of Zeiss lenses and start making money as a pro to pay for them.

I recently acquired a Sony 70-300 APO G to use on my Sony A57. It is wicked good. The 18-55mm SAM kit lens greatly under-rated, but I have found it to be very good in every category. why bother with adapters? If you're that picky, get a complete set of Zeiss lenses and start making money as a pro to pay for them.

I was initially looking to not have to rebuy all the lenses I already have.

I ended up going with the metabones speed booster as my adapter.

I would say keep using the Canon lenses and get the Mitakon 50mm f0.95 for lowlight. Maybe also the Mitakon 85mm f1.2, but then the Canon version. Both Mitakons are manual focus only.

You wont get brilliant autofocus with the Sonys but I hope you didnt expected to.

I recently acquired a Sony 70-300 APO G to use on my Sony A57.
Thats a Minolta A lens and camera.

The OP is talking about a Sony FE camera, the A7s.

Good article. I still think is Sony were smart they'd release different mounting options.
That would be really stupid of Sony.

(a) The Canon mount isnt public, so any Canon mount for Sony cameras would be a hack. Sony would forever have to fight for compability.

(b) Making the mount fixed makes it impossible to publish improved versions of the adapter.

(c) Canon mount cannot possibly ever work well on mirrorless, unless mirrorless indeed would have as good phase AF as SLRs. Thats because the motor for SLR lenses is not made for contrast autofocus, but for phase autofocus, as SLRs offer them.

I'm waiting for the Sigma adapter but I sold all my Canon lens already. Any one try the sigma adapter at any trade show?

Most reactions

Back