• 0.09 sec Light Speed AF with Precise Contrast AF
  • Full-area Focusing and Pinpoint AF for Flexible Framing
  • 4.2 fps (16.0-megapixel) / 20 fps (4-megapixel) Consecutive Shooting
  • Stunning 1920 x 1080 AVCHD Full HD Videos with High-quality Sound
  • Creative Options with Touch AF and Creative Control
  • iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode for Beautiful Videos with Ease
  • Easy Manual Control with a Variety of Shooting Assist Functions
  • Creative Control and Adjustable Parameters
  • 1,440,000-dot Equiv. Optional LVF (Live View Finder)
  • Photo Style and Detailed Setting Functions for Fine Control
  • iA Plus: Defocus, Color and Brightness Control
  • Level Gauge
  • 3D Shooting Capability for a New Realm of Photographic Expression

Last edited:
I am unsure what "more controls" means, exactly, the built-in flash you won't need. I can't say on faster AF, I shoot exclusively MF, though I think if you wanted fast AF you should go with an SLR or one of Sony's SLTs if size is a concern. The larger sensor for me is enough of a selling point, and the NEX-series I think is going to be around longer - though I could be wrong, it seems a bit more popular.

If you're a lens collector both have their advantages. The Sony has a larger sensor which will make 35mm wide angle lenses more adaptable, while the Micro 4/3 can accommodate 16mm lenses, but just barely.

The NEX-5 has good, although perhaps not exceptional noise handling. I am unsure about the GX.

Being that you list the NEX specs, but not the GX specs, makes me kind of think you're already decided. If it's worth anything, I'm planning on buying a NEX-7 myself.

I am unsure what "more controls" means, exactly, the built-in flash you won't need. I can't say on faster AF, I shoot exclusively MF, though I think if you wanted fast AF you should go with an SLR or one of Sony's SLTs if size is a concern. The larger sensor for me is enough of a selling point, and the NEX-series I think is going to be around longer - though I could be wrong, it seems a bit more popular.

If you're a lens collector both have their advantages. The Sony has a larger sensor which will make 35mm wide angle lenses more adaptable, while the Micro 4/3 can accommodate 16mm lenses, but just barely.

The NEX-5 has good, although perhaps not exceptional noise handling. I am unsure about the GX.

Being that you list the NEX specs, but not the GX specs, makes me kind of think you're already decided. If it's worth anything, I'm planning on buying a NEX-7 myself.

I was under the impression that the panasonic and Olympus PEN cameras were a much more popular choice for an EVIL camera. There are over 20 4/3 lenses and you can get adapters for pretty much anything compared to the NEX5 only having 3 lenses out for it (unless there are a few more) and less in the way of accessories.

My biggest gripe is the lack of hotshoe or pc sync port. That is why I'll be going with Olympus or Panasonic.

I think the Pen will survive. I am unsure about the Panasonic. But I forgot about the adaptability between them. If lens selection is more important than sensor size, go with that.

....the built-in flash you won't need.
Better to have a flash than not. Great for fill flash when needed.

.... though I think if you wanted fast AF you should go with an SLR or one of Sony's SLTs if size is a concern. ....
You obviously are unaware that the Oly EP3 is touted as the fastest AF in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I really should not have commented on this one. I just get so excited.

Most reactions

Back