Sony RX100 M3/IV vs Nikon DL 24-85 Size

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd figured I would share this chart that shows the dimensions of both the Sony RX100 M3/IV and the new Nikon DL 24-85.

I thought the new DL 24-85 looked quite a bit bigger than the RX100, but I was wrong. They are pretty close, but pocketable? That's debatable..but the RX100 is still more compact but the DL 24-85 isn't far behind.

What's interesting though, Nikon CLEARLY copied the rear of the RX100 M3/IV because it looks darn near identical.

rx100dl2485.PNG

It's probably pocketable...the RX100 line is more than pocketable, there's extra room in most pockets. Depends on the pocket, I suppose.

Have we heard yet whether it directly connects to your phone without a wifi connection like the Sony does? That's a big selling point for a lot of Instagrammers.

I dont instagram but I love how quick and easy it is to transfer files from my A6000 to my phone.

I'd buy a DL, if it was exaclty like above but with a 24mp crop sensor.

I dont instagram but I love how quick and easy it is to transfer files from my A6000 to my phone.

What sensor does the Sony have?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

APS-C for the A6000.

APS-C for the A6000.
That would probably be the biggest factor against the DL as far as me buying one. Nikon should have gone with one of their DX sensors. I have nikon 1" sensor in my nikon 1 and it's terrible in low light. DL may have other factors and new tech that makes it better in low light than the nikon 1 . The DL is Still a neat camera though.

Last edited:
I've wondered how a 24-70 2.8 fixed lens APS-C camera would do. It seems like that's what most entry-level DSLR buyers actually want. If they could make it the size of the a6000, it could do incredibly well. The problem, I think, is both the size of the lens and the cost of production.

I've wondered how a 24-70 2.8 fixed lens APS-C camera would do. It seems like that's what most entry-level DSLR buyers actually want. If they could make it the size of the a6000, it could do incredibly well. The problem, I think, is both the size of the lens and the cost of production.

yeah. My issue is I don't think the kit 16-50mm 3.5-5.6 I have is any great -- it's pretty bad.

I love, however, the size of it. so i deal with it.

I just wish there was a compact ~18-55 sized ~2.8-4 lens for it.

In fact, I just bought the ket NEX 16mm 2.8 lens to try to use. it's a touch sharper at 2.8 (in the center) than the 16-50 at 16mm at f/4, and I get the extra light -- the 24MP crop sensor falls apart at 3200ISO.

and I like the screen that flips around for selfies. But I can still make it happen*.

*beware: link contains pro-level pop-up flash usage. you may not be able to handle it.

Yeah, I never really use the kit lens, but I keep it for when flexibility is my highest priority. Otherwise I stick to the 35 1.8.

Maybe the closest they'd be able to get is a f4 zoom. But I still think it would sell pretty well, especially if it was a good lens. Sort of like the 16-70, just knock off a little of the length at both ends, wipe off the Zeiss markings, superglue it to an a6000 and sell it for $1000. Voila!

the primes for this thing are HUGE.

If Nikon would have put an APS-C sensor on the DL it would make the lens much bigger so while some would buy it for the obvious better low light performance many wouldnt even look at it because it wouldn't be "pockatable"
The Sony RX100 is a camera that gives a rather interesting balance of size and performance and that's where its winning.
I think you guys missed the most important thing, the DL 24-85mm looks on paper to be very close to the RX100 and it cost 300$ less.
650$ vs 950$, this is a big thing, this can really be a class leading camera for its reasonable price and good performance (again on paper).

Most reactions

Back