What's new

SOOC. Hows the exposure, Skin tone, Shadows?

Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
764
Location
Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did this just real quick after taking some advice from here and another forum. Im not overly concerned with the subject matter, pose or what not. Just looking to see if it was lit OK and where I could improve. Single light, no reflector (didnt have room for right now)








:(

Single light, no reflector (didnt have room for right now)

F3F6027D-2FFD-45B4-9BA7-3FB575DCA334-24613-000021BBD22DC96F.jpg
 
Some pretty heavy shadows under her chin and right arm, but that would be expected with a single light to her right. I'd say you did pretty well all things considered.
 
Some pretty heavy shadows under her chin and right arm, but that would be expected with a single light to her right. I'd say you did pretty well all things considered.

Thank you. If I can get the room moved out of the way I should have space for the reflector which I am hoping will help soften those shadows on the left side and under.
 
THe two photos seem to have a bit too much contrast. Her hair appears a bit darker than I think it ought to. Maybe a little + Exposure in the RAW converter would help bring a bit more detail back into her hair. We ought to be able to literally see individual strands of hair on the left side of the pics, but the blacks are what some people call "crushed" or "plugged up"...the black point of the images might be a bit too black...

The biggest issue I SEE in your photos, and also the set-up shot, is that the main light is too LOW, in relation to her. The shadow her nose casts is not as flattering as it would have been if the light had been moved higher up and aimed DOWNWARD, toward her. You have a nice, high-ceilinged room to work in, so I would think about getting that umbrella and flash elevated more, so the light casts a shadow under her nose, more so that casting a big shadow of the nose onto her cheek. Your lighting scheme is not horrible by any means, but a bit of a different approach to exactly HOW HIGH and WHERE the main light is placed makes a huge,huge difference in a one-light set-up like this.
 
Thank you! I love how helpful you guys are! I did have that thought of how high up the light should be and I honestly had no idea and just kinda went with something level with her. Also thank you for the tip with the hair.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom