Sorry but I gotta ask...

Patrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've seen some photo's of photographers :? and was wondering why the name of the camera is covered with black tape?

Why do you think? My guess is that the photographer doesn't want to promote a brand without getting paid for it... But that's just a guess...

Patrick said:
I was hoping that wasn't the reason.
Kinda thought the same :roll:

I don't know! But that's the only reason that makes sense to me...

Wait and see what the pro here say. They may have another explanation.

Why did you hope that wasn't the reason? Greed? I don't think a lot of photographers make a lot of money and have to watch out for every penny they want to earn, to be honest. There are, obviously, those who make a fortune, but they are very few I think...

Some photographers are sponsored by one brand, but secretly prefer another. :twisted:

A shiny silver logo on a black camera can show up on the subject sometimes. But I don't think that is the biggest reason. What was said about brands in the posts above is probably nearer the truth.

Lots of people who go to countries, where shall we say there is a known theft problem, and cover up the brand name on their camera with tape or a fake logo. The idea being that the camera looks cheap and nasty so they get overlooked and the person standing next to them with a big shiny "Nikon" gets mugged.

ferny said:
A shiny silver logo on a black camera can show up on the subject sometimes. But I don't think that is the biggest reason. What was said about brands in the posts above is probably nearer the truth.

Lots of people who go to countries, where shall we say there is a known theft problem, and cover up the brand name on their camera with tape or a fake logo. The idea being that the camera looks cheap and nasty so they get overlooked and the person standing next to them with a big shiny "Nikon" gets mugged.

That'll teach 'em to use Nikon! :lol:

Depends on who the photographer is and what type of camera it is. Cartier Bresson shot with a hand held 35mm black Leica rangefinder, this was a very deliberate decision so as his camera was small and didn't attract attention through bulkiness or through shininess and allowed for the best candids possible. I'd say the black tape is just to make the camera less noticeable, which is something I adhere too.

ferny said:

That makes since.

I thought Canon had a white logo too. Is it just not as white?

Sometimes photographers cover events sponsored by camera companies. If their brand is not the same as the sponsor...they may be asked to cover it up.

For example, I think Nikon sponsors a golf tournament or even the PGA. They sure don't want "CANON" to show up on TV at an event that they sponsor.

Patrick said:
ferny said:

That makes since.

I thought Canon had a white logo too. Is it just not as white?
I just used Nikon as an example as it's a well known brand. I could Canon, Minolta or anyone. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back