TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Avalon, Northern Beaches, Sydney, Australia
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I've been doing a bit of photography lately (mainly in my travels) but its only been with a point and shoot. I really enjoy it, and want to get into it more seriously. I'm thinking a digital SLR, mainly so i can take heaps of photos without worrying about film and see how they turn out straight away...to increase my learning from trial and error.
I want something hardy (for travelling) and am thinking of a digital SLR such as the canon 10d or 20d. I have about $3500 AUD, (approx 2500 USD) to spend, and was wondering what you think of this camera selection.
In the way of lenses, I really enjoy portraits, and landscapes...what do you recommend. i could only carry two at the most.

Thanks heaps for you comments,

Welcome to the Forum,

Both the 10D & 20D are said to be very good cameras. The 20D is slightly newer and better but also more expensive than the 10D which is out of production (as far as I know).

Both cameras are mid level. They will work fine in auto mode but do come with a handful of options & settings that can come in handy for more advanced use.

The Canon Digital Rebel (or the Nikon D70) is a step down in that it is more of a consumer grade camera in terms of options & build. Although the sensor is the same as in the 10D...which is a very good sensor.

That being said, your money is best spent on lenses. Good lenses can and will make all the difference. There are lots of options...for portraiture you might want a fast lens (big max. aperture). A fast prime (non zoom) lens is much less expensive than a fast zoom but if you only want to carry two lenses...a zoom might be better for you. For landscape you will probably want a wide lens. With the 1.6 crop factor you will want an ultra wide lens.

The Canon 17-40 4.0 L seems popular for a wide zoom. I see they have a 16-35 2.8 L that looks pretty sweet.

For a longer zoom, you might want to try a few of them out. Feel the weight and size of them on you camera. If you are traveling, you don't want to be forever lugging around a huge lens.

You can't go wrong with the 50 1.8 lens. It's the cheapest EF lens...it's fast & sharp. At only $70 US, you will love it.

I've never used 10D or 20D but if I where you I would run out and purchase the Canon 20D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back