Space shuttle

Ejazzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I am going to do a long exposure shot of the space shuttle tonight.

If it is about an 8 minute exposure, what should my aperture be? i was thinking up around f/22 or so.

I only have one shot! I need all the info i can get.

Id say yeah, go for your smallest aperture so f22 would probably be perfect!

on a side note, I think I know you from wakeskating.com my username is nate_ and my real name is Nathan Legiehn, I ride a LTD Integ :)

what up 45 post newb! haha jk.
now there are two of us ws.comers on here. You Jcoffey and me.

If it is about an 8 minute exposure, what should my aperture be?

How dark will it be? What time is the launch?

8 minutes is a long time. If the sun is up, you'll probably need ND filters...

Depending upon how close you are, this thing is going to be lit up as though it was day. And then you're going to have a pillar of fire underneath the shuttle and after it clears the pad, I don't think it'll be lit anymore. So pre-launch, you'll have time to experiment, and I would suspect that maybe something a tad slower than daylight - perhaps start around 1/125 sec at f/5.6 or something like that - would be a decent place to start. Adjust shutter speed based on that shot. You may want to try to slightly under-expose it pre-launch for the launch, as I would expect the fire to be brighter than the lights on the shuttle pre-launch. After that, unless you have good reflexes and intuition, I'm not sure if you're going to be getting anything useable after that.

Note - I have not photographed a shuttle launch, day nor night, so this is all based on supposition and not actual experience.

it is at 4:30 am.

I guess I will just go for what I said. I will be about 13 miles from the launch pad

thanks guys!

If you do 8 minutes it's going to be blown out. Why not something like f/8 and a fast(ish) shutter speed to capture the motion and not have a red streak in the air but something frozen in time that people will identify as a space shuttle. Unless of course you want a streak for some artistic reason.
TJ

TJ k, being over 13 miles away I don't think you will be able to tell what it is anyways. So I figured the best way to make an interesting shot would to make it a long exp.

Where you from in so flo?

Is it really going to take 8 minutes?

What you plan on doing sounds just like shooting fireworks, but longer.

ISO 100
f/8
Bulb

Using a remote, open the shutter just before it launches and close it when it's either where you want it in the frame, or no longer visible. That's probably how I would handle it anyway...

damn

Just realized that it already happened... How did it go?

TJ k, being over 13 miles away I don't think you will be able to tell what it is anyways. So I figured the best way to make an interesting shot would to make it a long exp.

Where you from in so flo?

How did it go?

I live around Ft. Lauderdale/Pembroke Pines area

Is it really going to take 8 minutes?

What you plan on doing sounds just like shooting fireworks, but longer.

ISO 100
f/8
Bulb

Using a remote, open the shutter just before it launches and close it when it's either where you want it in the frame, or no longer visible. That's probably how I would handle it anyway...

damn

Just realized that it already happened... How did it go?

I actually laughed pretty hard at this lol

Terrific photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back