Spare Ribs On My Smoker

Scott Whaley

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been converting my smoker over to gas for the last few weeks. I finally got it done & decided to smoke some ribs. I used the gas fixtures & controls from an old gas grill. I can keep the temperature steady now & only have to use a few pieces of hickory for flavor. Here is the before photo & after being smoked for just over 2 hours. I then wrap them in foil & cook for a couple hours or so longer. Photos are taken with my phone camera. No CC necessary.

Attachments

• 20210604_161223.jpg
    20210604_161223.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210604_161059.jpg
    20210604_161059.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
that looks horrible. box it up and send it to me and i'll kindly dispose of it for you. you should throw in some beer too to make up from the inconvenience. 😉

I just checked them & they still need to cook another hour. Man, am I getting hungry.

I bought an electric smoker a couple years ago that works well. Looks like a small refrigerator and holds 40lbs of meat. I fill it up and freeze the exrtra.

Awesome. Let us know how they turned out.

Been smoking meats for many years and have several units for specific reasons. Ribs aren't bad over wood. 5-6 hours. But, certain sausages and butts can take much longer. Gas or electric keeps things constant. Alarms on thermos even allow you to nap on long overnight smokes. I've even finished things in the oven. :icon_eek: Don't tell anyone! Smoking snobs may disagree. Screw them, if you're happy with the results. Lol.

If you want or need any rubs, sauces, marinades or sausage recipes, just ask. I have tons!

Looking good Scott!

What temperature are you maintaining there?

Awesome. Let us know how they turned out.

Been smoking meats for many years and have several units for specific reasons. Ribs aren't bad over wood. 5-6 hours. But, certain sausages and butts can take much longer. Gas or electric keeps things constant. Alarms on thermos even allow you to nap on long overnight smokes. I've even finished things in the oven. :icon_eek: Don't tell anyone! Smoking snobs may disagree. Screw them, if you're happy with the results. Lol.

If you want or need any rubs, sauces, marinades or sausage recipes, just ask. I have tons!
Thanks. I'll keep you in mind for some of the recipes. I have always cooked my ribs with hickory & charcoal. Today was the 1st time I used gas to regulate the temp.. I use an Inkbird to monitor the temp.. Bluetooth is great.

By the way. They were fantastic. Really moist.

that looks horrible. box it up and send it to me and i'll kindly dispose of it for you. you should throw in some beer too to make up from the inconvenience. 😉
NO NOKK, DON'T DO IT, you're too young! I've lived a full life, let me have them ..... and the beer ... and icy cold. :very_drunk:

I'll let you two fight it out. I'll just sit back and watch while eating my ribs.

I started with a wood box smoker in Texas but the baby sitting was too much so I switched to an electric. A nice blend of hickory and apple wood at around 250 deg. is what I generally cook @, depending. I also inject with tequila ... myself that is. :chuncky:

This is my smoker before I converted it to gas. A Friend of ours has an annual crab boil & I cook ribs too.

Attachments

• 20181215_085717.jpg
    20181215_085717.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 111
Wow! That looks awesome.....

I must admit that I'm a purist, so charcoal only for me. In the UK it's very difficult to get proper BBQ and we have different cuts of meat. I've got a big offset smoker and grill in my garden, it's a delight to do a 8hr smoke with a full bone in shoulder of pork! I'd love to get a dry rub recipe and some tips on brisket? That's not something we've traditionally done in the UK and our brisket cut is different, but thankfully my butcher is really good so will do me their best, plus their meat is fantastic because they dry age.

Looks great. I love to eat them but have zero idea how to cook. I'm not allowed around a stove, grill, or appliance after the last situation.

More information please.

Most reactions

Back