Spare Ribs On My Smoker

Ok, so here was the results of my first attempt at smoking using a gas grill. It turned out incredible, and I was very pleased with myself. I used mesquite for the wood, because, well, it's Texas. 8 hours at 200F.
SmokedBrisket20110619 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

@K9Kirk

Thanks for the reccomendation mate, my dad got himself a new BBQ recently and expressed an interest, I looked up the Aaron Franklin books and got him them for father's day (along with a few useful BBQ things). I raved about him so much my Mrs got me his book on smoking meat too. Absolutley love it, this guy is right up my street, pretty much read it from cover to cover already and his approach is right up my street! So thanks again for the reccomendation!

@K9Kirk

Thanks for the reccomendation mate, my dad got himself a new BBQ recently and expressed an interest, I looked up the Aaron Franklin books and got him them for father's day (along with a few useful BBQ things). I raved about him so much my Mrs got me his book on smoking meat too. Absolutley love it, this guy is right up my street, pretty much read it from cover to cover already and his approach is right up my street! So thanks again for the reccomendation!
You're most welcome, bud. If you ever get to Austin, Tx. you know where you'll have to go for b-b-que. I hope the books turn out to be worthwhile, happy smoking!

If I recall, Aaron Franklin has the title for best brisket in Texas or used to anyway. He did receive the James Beard Award so that says a lot. I've eaten at his restaurant and the man can smoke a brisket. Here's a link to one of his recipes:
My son is down in Austin, and I told him to go stand in line for me and bring some Franklin's back...

While I was grilling steaks a few minutes ago, I thought to myself that I should go buy a smoker tomorrow.

While I was grilling steaks a few minutes ago, I thought to myself that I should go buy a smoker tomorrow.
Are you thinking electric, or charcoal?

this makes me sad ... :(, thread with probably the ugliest photos here on the photography forum gets the most attendance and attention ..

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 30
Hey this is a photo forum? 🤫 (just a joke, really) Great thread and I am enjoying reading all the smoker comments. Making me hungry and it's only 8:20AM. But no matter how difficult it is to photograph through smoke, the photos are really nice to see.

I have a charcoal smoker, little box with shelves. I've considered electric and wondered about how much gas I'd use, doing something for six hours. I'm getting at... nothing is "perfect". I like the flavor of charcoal best, but I also have a gas grill, which is also very good for some foods and with a pan using wood chips, gets very nice and convenient. Electric?

Then there's the other answer for smoking, grilling or nearly everything. The Weber Kettle Grill. This is my Thanksgiving turkey last year. Smoked, not baked or grilled. And might I share the secret of smokers and BBQ? Sloooooow Cooking. 🤤 I started early in the afternoon. Cooked with the lid on and adding coals, and soaked wood chips, trough the sides. Big drip pan...

Attachments

• turkey on a charcoal grill dark web.jpg
    turkey on a charcoal grill dark web.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 53
this makes me sad ... :(, thread with probably the ugliest photos here on the photography forum gets the most attendance and attention ..
Throw some food on a grill or smoker and take a snap shot, it doesn't have to be a great shot, us guys just love to talk about b-b-que.
🪵🥩:drool2:

Throw some food on a grill or smoker and take a snap shot, it doesn't have to be a great shot, us guys just love to talk about b-b-que.
🪵🥩:drool2:
my dearest Kirk :D ... I am on diet because I'm fourty and I will have to make an another (3rd) notch on the belt (I hope you understand :D what I mean, if not, there's some language barrier) this year in November so I have to be in top fitness at least next 15 years .. So no grill for me, no beers for me, basically not anything yummy and tasty .. I eat only what rabbits eat and I have to run like them too ..

ps. we have a great grill on our countryhouse, and strong grill tradition too .. charcoal or wood ..

my dearest Kirk :D ... I am on diet because I'm fourty and I will have to make an another (3rd) notch on the belt (I hope you understand :D what I mean, if not, there's some language barrier) this year in November so I have to be in top fitness at least next 15 years .. So no grill for me, no beers for me, basically not anything yummy and tasty .. I eat only what rabbits eat and I have to run like them too ..

ps. we have a great grill on our countryhouse, and strong grill tradition too .. charcoal or wood ..
Ha, didn't expect it to go there but since it did, I'm 61, 40 lbs. overweight, and type 2 diabetic with neuropathy so I'm one step ahead of you. With my diet I allow myself a little of the things I like like beer or sweets (in strict moderation) that can hurt me and I exercise hard on my bike. I pedal hard, breath hard, sweat a lot and my muscles burn. Sounds like fun, eh?! That way I burn off any bad calories before they can store as fat. The 'new diet logic' is to allow yourself a little of what you like so that you don't end up binge eating when your body can't take not having what it craves anymore, or I should say, the things you like. So far I've lost 10 lbs. in the last month and still going strong. 30 more lbs. to go and I'll be where I want/need to be. Maybe it's a diet you would like if it worked for you. Get yourself some good b-b-que and a nice cold beer. :02.47-tranquillity: GL, be well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ntz

Most reactions

New Topics

Back