SPCA - Sarah McLachlan

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have any of you seen the ASPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan singing? Kind of a sad commercial... My daughter starts crying every time it comes on. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad - sad enough to make a baby cry.

It's hard to explain the reaction my daughter (15 months old) has to this comercial, but it's almost as if someone had just killed a puppy right in front of her - that's the only thing I can think of that would provoke the same reaction.

Anyway - do anyone else's kids start crying uncontrollably when this commercial comes on, or is it just mine?

EDIT
Here is the commercial
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9d2PpP7tQ[/ame]
(this is the Canadian version - the American version is similar, but I can't find it on youtube.)

EDIT, agian - found the American version: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eXfvRcllV8&feature=PlayList&p=0BC4E7CD0D4D785C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12[/ame]

I've done some volunteer work at animal shelters, and this is a sad subject - but my daughter, who is just over a year old cries every time this comes on... It makes me want to cry, seeing her cry over this...

Last edited:
In about 8 months, I will be putting my German shepherd down, as he was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy , which is the deterioation of the back nervous system. This will be the hardest thing I will ever have to do in my life.
I took Kane from an abusive home when he was 4 months old, and we have been best friends since then. I promised him when I took him away, I would give him the best life I could , till that moment when I will hold him close to me, and he closes his eyes forever.

These people that abuse animals are a complete waste of skin, and I would take great pleasure in strapping them to a tree and beating them with in an inch of death with a stick.

And it is not just kids that cry when they see this. I do.

Maybe it's the Sarah effect. ;)

My GF rescues dogs, she has two now, one is a handful, BC's are anyway at the best of time, but with some training she's having a great time. Still gets crazy at times, but when they have a bad time early on it's hard to get it all out of them.

People that abuse animals should be made to inhale glass slivers and dust until they bleed-out screaming in agony. :-x :thumbup:

That is so funny you say this. I work with a 40 year old MAN. Whenever this song comes on at work he starts thinking about the commercial and starts ballinn tears. Its actually quite funny. -Danny

I made it through without breaking up - only because of 3 things

1) the warning in the first post
2) my music was on very very quiet
3) they didn't use a cheetah (seriously if it was done with cheetahs no one would make it throuh!)

What makes me mad though is not just those that abuse animals, but the breeding and standards groups who will constantly breed weaknesses and defects into a breed to retain "pure bloodlines" and "the correct look". There was a big thing on this in the UK recently and the annual national dog show was not held this year because of what as going on with breeders - heck they were breeding and showing dogs with the "perfect" profile who could hardly stand on their back legs (I recall this was German shepherd :().
Heck some dog bloodlines need some new blood - labradors are great dogs, but when they get old they become so susceptable to things like back, hip, rhumatism (SP) and even things like caterats on the eyes :(. They need some stronger blood mixing in otherwise whilst the dog might conform to some breed list in some book written by some guy (normaly from the Victorian era) they are going to have a hard life and a lot of vet trips.
Heck your average mutt is often far more healthy :)

Your average mutt is heathier. A mutt's genetic makeup (regardless of species) is most always superior to a purebreed.

For a 15 month old to react that way is surprising. Shows that the video works on many different levels .. older people react because they remember pets with fond memories and how wrong abuse is for such wonderful creatures and the child reacts because it understands and relates to the sad faces ... interesting.

I rescued a Wire Haired Fox Terrier, Shelby (aka Shabs). She was abused mentally, the owners totally ignored her .... gave her no attention. She was/is a great little girl.

One of the reasons we brought her into our home was as a companion for Cookie, our Wheaten Terrier. They were pretty much opposites, The Cook was all soft and flexable easy going, never did anything wrong. Shabs was stiff and string loaded, even when she slept her legs were stretched out, Shabs tried her best to be a good dog. Cookie was very very accomodating of Shelby. For six months it was great, both dogs played and played and played. They even had many specific games. They seemed just grand together.

Then one day Shelby turned and started to attack Cookie. We had to keep them separated. Apparently, you can't keep two female Terriers in the same household. It took about three months but we finally found a good home for Shabs. This was about two+ years ago ... but a day doesn't go by when I don't think of her.

Shabs
82475385_YG7R8-M.jpg

Cookie and Shabs
56294053_rntiW-L.jpg

The Cook
44011459_2DQJS-L.jpg

Last edited:
I tear up when I see that commercial, everytime.

We've had numerous dogs over my life time, all of which have been rescues. So I know just what it's like to see a scared puppy just want to crawl into a corner and finally be left alone. Those are the dogs we adopt, and they all have wonderful lives.

So in reality it's not funny, people should react like that. Lets 'em know that they can still care about something.

In about 8 months, I will be putting my German shepherd down, as he was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy , which is the deterioation of the back nervous system. This will be the hardest thing I will ever have to do in my life...
I feel ya bro. I heard an interesting interview from a veternarian about medical decisions we have to make for our pets. There was one point she made that hit home to me. I have started making notes on the number of good days versus the bad. My dog is coming up on 14 y.o. and has some cancer tumors that are in area with very little soft tissue around them (legs).

Here is the interview. Click the Listen Now icon. It's about 38 minutes long.

I feel ya bro. I heard an interesting interview from a veternarian about medical decisions we have to make for our pets. There was one point she made that hit home to me. I have started making notes on the number of good days versus the bad. My dog is coming up on 14 y.o. and has some cancer tumors that are in area with very little soft tissue around them (legs).

Here is the interview. Click the Listen Now icon. It's about 38 minutes long.

Thanks man. There is actually a web site dedicated to this thing Kane has. Since there is no cure, people are trying different things to prolong the spread of it.
This is Kane.
501146060_gcUy9-M.jpg

501146047_Sgzmk-L.jpg

When Kane was a pup, we had to have his ear operated on, for a hemotoma. One reason the vet thinks it happened was from being hit many times in the head.​

Thanks man. There is actually a web site dedicated to this thing Kane has. Since there is no cure, people are trying different things to prolong the spread of it.
This is Kane.
501146060_gcUy9-M.jpg

501146047_Sgzmk-L.jpg

When Kane was a pup, we had to have his ear operated on, for a hemotoma. One reason the vet thinks it happened was from being hit many times in the head.​

Awwwwww....I'm so very sorry to hear this Carl,.......he is so adorable. :(:(:( You can see his love for you in that 2nd pic!!

About the commercial...I can't watch....I just can't.

I'll never understand how some people can be so cruel to animals...

...This thread is depressing.

I like animals, I love my dog and it's horrible what some people do to them, but I have a hard time crying for animals when there are human beings in equal or worse situations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back