... speaking of Fiddleheads ...

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, Nerwin posted those shots of the Fern ... it reminded me of food that I had as a child.

I am Canadian of Japanese decent (some may say Japanese Canadian) ... my parents used to wake us up early and drive us many miles north into the Wasaga Beach area every Spring to gather Fiddleheads ... though I was more interested in the tent Caterpillars.

These were then pickled into jars and left for a while.
They were awesome to eat ... so I recently asked my Mom on how this was made ... she does not remember !!!

So I am in search for anyone who knows ... HELP !!!

From what I remember, they turned a golden brown in the jar ... and could have been called Warabi ??

After some Googling, Warabi is a Japanese name for Bracken ferns. Doesn't really relate to how they are prepared. Used as a vegetable and in every kind of recipe you would use green beans or asparagus. Seriously. But they used the stalk and all. Sounds like it's slightly poisonous and carcinogenic. Why you're supposed to use just the fiddlehead on very young plants.

Dean beat me to a link. You may have to try a few recipes to nail down the one you remember.

Thanks for the link, I did not find that one ... but ... it doesn't look like the secret Japanese technique I am looking for.
I think the Japanese secret is dashi, but I could be wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back