Formula 1 & Formula car followers (poll)

New driver protecting Halo makes F1 cars look

• Cool

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • U G L Y

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The beginning of the end of Formula One racing.

Protecting the driver is the end of racing?

In terms of how it looks, I'm totally indifferent. If it is effective in protecting drivers, what's the issue?

No, it's not the end of racing, and yes protecting drivers is and should be the #1 priority.
The issue is about aesthetics.
Indeed, drivers today survive crashes with little if any injury that in the past were usually fatal.

There are more elegant solutions that don't detract from the look of the cars.
Indy Car is testing and developing a clear screen that enhances the look of it's cars.

The halo surrounds the car's cockpit and is intended to protect the drivers head, while still allowing the driver to exit the car quickly in case of a crash.
Prior to the halo the most significant safety advance was the HANS device - Head And Neck Support - that has virtually eliminated racing driver deaths from basilar skull fractures.

Well, as I said, in terms of how it looks, I'm utterly indifferent. It neither adds nor distracts from the aesthetics of the cars. If I am watching an F1 race, I am paying more attention to what the cars are doing rather than how they look. If I want to look at pretty cars, then I'll watch a vintage race.

by limrodrigues, on Flickr

There ya go, and I do watch vintage car races.
Unfortunately, the vintage cars come up short regards safety.
Having raced formula cars at the amateur level years ago, I'm keenly aware of the subtleties of racecraft and driving technique.

There ya go, and I do watch vintage car races.
Unfortunately, the vintage cars come up short regards safety.
Having raced formula cars at the amateur level years ago, I'm keenly aware of the subtleties of racecraft and driving technique.

Indeed, vintage cars aren't the safest ones around. They sure are purdy, though :) Here's Buzz on the Sam Posey straight at Lime Rock, doing a Skip Barber driving course.

Blurry 25 and Lime Rock
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I haven't taken one yet, and I'd have to work up being able to drive those cars, but I'm saving up for one of their other courses. Of course, this doesn't mean I haven't had lessons ;) - my father taught me how to ditch hook before I could parallel park (he did some rally driving back in Portugal and taught me a few tricks.)

I was first schooled in 1976 at Bob Bondurant's Sear's Point school, at Jim Russell's school in 2000 (also at Sear's point), and at Derek Daly's school in Las Vegas (2002, 2004).

I was first schooled in 1976 at Bob Bondurant's Sear's Point school, at Jim Russell's school in 2000 (also at Sear's point), and at Derek Daly's school in Las Vegas (2002, 2004).

You were schooled, were you? ;)

Yep. At first I didn't know much about racecraft, but I knew the fundamentals of how to negotiate a corner as far as breaking points, turn-in, trail breaking, apex, and track-out. I also already had pretty good footwork for heel/toe downshifting and throttle control.

F1 is gone to pot anyway, its gone all about the cars and the drivers are less important the strategies of old are more or less gone too. All they do now is go round and round; the go faster wing device, taken straight out of super-mario cart, was the middle of the end for me.

As for this thing it will be wipers and indicators next.

The drivers asked for protection., It's their a$$ on the line not ours. Let them have it. It's racing not a fashion show.

... Prior to the halo the most significant safety advance was the HANS device - Head And Neck Support - that has virtually eliminated racing driver deaths from basilar skull fractures.
Far more significant than silly ideas like 5-point harnesses or helmets or fire-retardant clothing or roll bars / cages or seats with head restraints or ...... The list goes on.

Most reactions

Back