specifics for an in-home family portrait

jawbroken

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there! I'm looking for some advice, as I'm an extreme novice in the photography game. I didn't want to hijack any other threads, and to be honest - the forum is pretty intimidating, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this thread.

I'm heading to a friend's house for Christmas dinner, and they recently added a little one to their family. Since I'm a poor college student, I thought I'd use my minimal talents and expensive toys and give them a family portrait for Christmas. I've got the ideas and the equipment, but I'm lacking the skills and the knowledge to give them the best picture possible.

What I'm really concerned with is the lighting. It will probably be close to dark out by the time things get rolling, so I won't be able to use the sunlight to my advantage. I only have the built-in flash on my T1i and their lamps to work with. Can you guys help me with not only the best settings to make this right, but also any tips for lamp placement or any other things I can do to optimize the available light in the room?

I'm no pro, and they know this, but I'd still like to give them something worth blowing up and putting on their wall.

Any help and advice on all aspects of this little project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I'm looking for some advice, as I'm an extreme novice in the photography game. I didn't want to hijack any other threads, and to be honest - the forum is pretty intimidating, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this thread.

I'm heading to a friend's house for Christmas dinner, and they recently added a little one to their family. Since I'm a poor college student, I thought I'd use my minimal talents and expensive toys and give them a family portrait for Christmas. I've got the ideas and the equipment, but I'm lacking the skills and the knowledge to give them the best picture possible.

What I'm really concerned with is the lighting. It will probably be close to dark out by the time things get rolling, so I won't be able to use the sunlight to my advantage. I only have the built-in flash on my T1i and their lamps to work with. Can you guys help me with not only the best settings to make this right, but also any tips for lamp placement or any other things I can do to optimize the available light in the room?

I'm no pro, and they know this, but I'd still like to give them something worth blowing up and putting on their wall.

Any help and advice on all aspects of this little project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a prime lens? With my limited knowledge I would say it's going to be tricky just working with their light fixtures. Maybe they have some shop lights you could use for bounce?

i'm embarrassed to say this, but I don't know what a Prime lens is.

I've got two lenses - both came in the kit I purchased, but I've been told they're great lenses.

They're both Canon EFS lenses - 18-55 and 55-250.

i'm embarrassed to say this, but I don't know what a Prime lens is.

I've got two lenses - both came in the kit I purchased, but I've been told they're great lenses.

They're both Canon EFS lenses - 18-55 and 55-250.

Prime lenses are fixed, no zoom. Because of their construction they're usually much faster and cheaper than zoom lenses. You could pick up a 50mm f1.8 for $100 or less. These are great for indoors because they're so fast.

i had just finished googling it when you responded. thank you for that! I'll definitely be looking into one now. or at least renting one for Christmas. =)

i had just finished googling it when you responded. thank you for that! I'll definitely be looking into one now. or at least renting one for Christmas. =)

Nice! Yea, I asked santa (wifey) for one... Keeping my fingers crossed. :p Oh and fyi, I've heard of people finding these on craigslist for anywhere from $40 - $80.

I think lighting will be your biggest challenge, especially with the lenses that you have. If you're planning to use your pop-up flash, try to diffuse it.

Nice! Yea, I asked santa (wifey) for one... Keeping my fingers crossed. :p Oh and fyi, I've heard of people finding these on craigslist for anywhere from $40 - $80.

Craigslist and Amazon seem to be incredible for discount equipment and supplies. and good luck with Santa! :D

I'm thinking I might just schedule some kind of daytime thing with them. I had hoped to be kinda spontaneous so they they didn't worry too much...but maybe planning it out will be the best for a good result.

I'm thinking I might just schedule some kind of daytime thing with them. I had hoped to be kinda spontaneous so they they didn't worry too much...but maybe planning it out will be the best for a good result.

Yea, it adds a slight element of stress when you start scheduling stuff and what not. Such is the life I guess. :p

Your camera's flash unit and the lamps have different color temperatures.

That is called 'mixed lighting', and pro photographers avoid mixed lighting like the plage, because it causes difficult to edit white balance issues.

Shooting outside, you have little control over the sunlight. The best option for outside is to put your subjects in open shade. That way the big bright sky becomes your main light, but being big it doesn't make sharp edged, dark shadows. Another advantage of using open shade is that the time of day is not as critical, but you do have to be mindful of where the Sun is in relation to the direction the open shade faces.

You and the camera can be out in the direct sunlight. Having one or 2 reflectors can also be helpful, and reflectors can be a simple as inexpensive foamboard you pick up at Wal-Mart.

I'm sorry but with your equipment you have virtually no chance of getting much worth printing, for a start because of the lighting you will not be able the use a small enough aperture to get everyone in focus and secondly you will not have a fast enough shutter speed to get a shot without camera shake, you need to get them outside early to stand a chance

Most reactions

Back