Speck in lens?

mdtusz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a 50mm f/1.8 yesterday (brand new) and when I opened it at home, I noticed there's what looks to be a small metal fleck or shard within the lens itself, by the looks of it behind the outermost element. I took a shot of a blank wall wide open and I don't notice any marks or flecks when I examined it. Is it worth returning it and asking for another "clean" lens?

I just bought a 50mm f/1.8 yesterday (brand new) and when I opened it at home, I noticed there's what looks to be a small metal fleck or shard within the lens itself, by the looks of it behind the outermost element. I took a shot of a blank wall wide open and I don't notice any marks or flecks when I examined it. Is it worth returning it and asking for another "clean" lens?

I would return it. It may be nothing of concern, but if it is a metal shard it would bother me, even if it didn't impact the image. Especially in a brand new lens.

If it looks to be a metal shard you might consider returning it as it could be an indication of some internal mechanical problem. But if it's just dust don't worry about it. You'll never notice dust flecks in your photos. Eventually your lenses will end up collecting dust inside of them anyway, no matter how well you protect them.

Most reactions

Back