Speedlight question

ShutterSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon SB400 v. SB600

I realize that the SB600 is probably much better than the SB400, but here's my question.

I use a D60, and I'm not sure what to look for as key specs, etc. My current flash is a brazilian make - and it doesn't do anything special except flash..and it has a fairly capable head that rotates 270 degrees horizontally and 90 vertically, but i lack anything other than that. the on board functions of my current flash are also useless.

Here are the uses I'm looking for.

Obviously, bounce flashing is huge for any enthusiast. I take a lot of pictures of my daughter, family - and being able to bounce off of most walls or ceiling is great.

Fill compensation of the flash - being able to dim the brightness of it or strengthen it.

and that's about it, that i know of.

is there any real reason why the SB600 would be necessary over the 400?

any experience from you guys would help...

sb600 is FAR better than the 400... to be honest, after playing with it, the 400 really isnt much different than your onboard flash.. 600 is a great flash

the price difference for the two isnt' that great, so I don't mind the difference, but with the D60 - i was thinking that if the functionality is no different, why pay more?

but if you say its no different than the built in, then that's a huge problem...i don't want something that weak.

the brazilian flash I have - TRON is actually really inconsistent with its flash..sometimes its bright..sometimes its dim - with the same settings and situations.

i feel that a new one is in order.

If you can afford it, get the better flash. As you grow as a photographer you'll be happier with a flash that has more features and flexibility.

Do you plan to do the strobist thing in the future? Or are you mainly going to stay on-camera with the Speedlite?

If you can afford it, get the better flash. As you grow as a photographer you'll be happier with a flash that has more features and flexibility.

Do you plan to do the strobist thing in the future? Or are you mainly going to stay on-camera with the Speedlite?

honestly, don't even know what 'strobist' thing is...

Off the top of my head, here are a few reasons to get the SB600 over the 400:

- The 600 is taller than the 400, which eliminates red eye and gives slightly more directional lighting, as well as avoiding shadows caused by long lenses.
- The 600 swivels as well as rotates, which allows you to bounce off the ceiling when the camera is rotated into portrait mode.
- 600 has more power
- 600 can be used as a wireless slave if you decide to get an SB800 or upgrade your camera to a body with commander mode sometime in the future.
- The 600 has an LCD screen and menus, so you can change the zoom and power output without going through camera menus.
- I don't know this for sure, but I imagine the SB600 has longer battery life and faster recycle times due to holding more batteries.

Definitely go for the SB600. If you get the 400 you will want to upgrade soon, so in reality, the SB600 is cheaper! :)

Off the top of my head, here are a few reasons to get the SB600 over the 400:

- The 600 is taller than the 400, which eliminates red eye and gives slightly more directional lighting, as well as avoiding shadows caused by long lenses.
- The 600 swivels as well as rotates, which allows you to bounce off the ceiling when the camera is rotated into portrait mode.
- 600 has more power
- 600 can be used as a wireless slave if you decide to get an SB800 or upgrade your camera to a body with commander mode sometime in the future.
- The 600 has an LCD screen and menus, so you can change the zoom and power output without going through camera menus.
- I don't know this for sure, but I imagine the SB600 has longer battery life and faster recycle times due to holding more batteries.

Definitely go for the SB600. If you get the 400 you will want to upgrade soon, so in reality, the SB600 is cheaper! :)

the reading i did on the 400 didn't mention that you couldn't do those type of rotations - then that makes the SB400 out of the question for me.

my TronS400 has nearly full swivel in any direction..I can point it almost anywhere I need to, just not down :D

if your getting into flash photography strobist.com will be the best site you look at for techniques on lighting, such a good site! (check out the lighting 101 section)

of all the sb series lights that i've used (26, 50, 400, 600, 800), i love them (except for the 400) they have so many great functions and I LOVE the fact that they have built in slaves (except for the 400)

if your new to photography and especially lighting, a slave means, when i'm doing studio shots, I have one flash in front of the person which currently is wired to my camera (wireless should be here next week) but the sb50 is mounted to a light stand on the other side of the room (usually to light the backdrop or a hair light) but it isnt connected to the camera at all, the flash from my wired flash, causes the sb50 to fire at the same time

Most reactions

Back