Speedlight/Speedlite/Flashgun Compatibility Question

TehYoyo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. Question about speedlights/speedlites/flashguns... first, what is the proper terminology (for an off-camera flash unit)? I know the first two are brandings and the third is more of a generic term, but no one really calls it a flashgun. What do you guys call it?

Next, are flashes cross-camera compatible? Could I use a Canon 580 EX II on a Nikon d7000? Could I use a Nikon SB800 on a Canon 7d? What features would be available? Also (and this is what I'm really interested in) could I use third-party flashes like the Yongnuo 560 II on a Nikon d7000/Canon 7d/Pentax K-5?

Finally, when I look at some third-party flashes, I see that they're "not compatible with Sony/Minolta cameras". Are they not compatible with Sony cameras only b/c of the hot shoe? There are plenty of hotshoe adapters out there that I can use to get around that problem.

Thanks,
~TehYoyo

The term 'speedlight' is probably now the most common term used to refer to any hot-shoe mounted strobe. 'Flashgun' pretty much disapeared when disposable flash bulbs did.

Maybe, but only to a point. You can put a Nikon speedlight on a Canon or vice-versa, but it will ONLY work in full manual. The third party flashes such as Metz, Yongnuo, etc are generally made for a specific camera (eg. it will be available for Nikon, or Canon, or Pentax) so it is best to get the one made for your camera system.

Correct. Sony chose NOT to use the industry-standard hot-shoe for some odd reason. There are adaptors, but there are also plenty of third-party Sony speedlights, so, if you're a Sony shooter, your best bet will be to get one of those.

Sony entered the DSLR camera market by taking over Konica Minolta's camera and film business in 2006

Sony inherited Minolta's odd-ball iISO hot shoe design in that deal. The industry standard is the ISO 518:2006 design - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_shoe

Oh OK. I noticed the full-manual thing when I was watching a few reviews.

Thanks for the clarifications, guys.

~TehYoyo

I need some flash gun compatible with Panasonc lumix G2? is the original Panasonic the best or use any other ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back