Speedlights vs. Monolights for portraits

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by adamhiram, Nov 10, 2019.

1. adamhiram

adamhiram No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Do they really? I thought only the fresnel head had a dim modeling light, while the bare bulb head was better suited for use inside most modifiers. Is this incorrect? Really curious what your experience has been, as I love the small form factor for portability.

This is something I definitely struggle with. Not to say that I've mastered other parts of portrait lighting - I can get a decent photo with appropriate key, fill, and background light placement and power. But most of my portraits seem to fit into 2 categories: either it looks like it could benefit from a hair light, or I wish I didn't try to add a hair light.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    It's better to light a candle than to stumble around and curse in the dark.

Imagine learning to light with WYSIWYG ease and efficiency. I suppose I could field dress
    A deer or elk with a razor blade, but I would rather have a real hunting knife. I believe I could hit a baseball pretty far with a 9-iron, but I would rather have a Louisville Slugger. I could land many small salmon on my
    Trout rod, but I have purpose built salmon rods.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  3. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    thats a great price. I moved all my flashes to the R2 system so I never have to deal with compatibility.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The 400 looks like a very Nifty unit. I perused the Adorama link, and it looks like a really great mono light. I am really in favor of the R2 system, meaning the built-in triggering system which is useful across their whole lineup coming from Studio Flash, to portable evolv 200 units, and all the way down to their on camera Speedlight flashes.

6. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for spending my money! I don't know that I would have caught this sale price if you hadn't mentioned this unit above... I think I hit my limit for Black Friday sales this year.

I've been using the Godox/R2 system for the past 2 years with TT600 speedlights, and honestly can't imagine going back to using separate wireless receivers or not being able to set flash power remotely. I'm not sure how much I really need the XPLOR 400, but I've had my eye on it since they announced it last year, and am definitely excited for my first "big light".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The $50 manual ones mind you...

8. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    FYI eVOLV 200 Pro is $50 off today @ Adorama.
    https://www.adorama.com/fplfev200pro.html

9. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    I will likely start a new discussion thread as I get more time to use it, but here are my initial impressions of the XPLOR 400 coming from speedlights. It is big and it is heavy. It has 4x the max power (metered), and the modeling light is very bright. It is fairly intuitive to use coming from other Godox/Flashpoint products, with many of the same quirks.

But here's the thing that really surprised me... Every review talks about recycle time at max power, and 1 second between shots at 400Ws is pretty impressive. But nobody really talks about just how fast it is at lower output. I tried shooting at 10fps to see how many misfires I'd see and THERE WERE NONE. At 1/32 flash power I can literally shoot at 10fps using flash. At 1/16 power I'm still at 9fps. Even at 1/8 power, which is the equivalent of where I typically max out with my speedlights, I can reliably shoot at 4fps. Maybe this is old news to those already using studio strobes, but I am truly blown away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Interesting. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1