Speedlights vs Strobes

Are you renting lights and a studio space, or renting lights from a studio? Just curious as the sentence can be read either way; or do you have a studio and you're renting lights?
I'm a member at a shared studio and rent their lights and aperturent is in the same place if I needed more, but I've not shoot more than 1 day in a row. Aperturent requires 3 days

I use monolights in a studio setting and either monolights or speedlights on location. It really just depends on type of shoot. I would suggest if someone is investing money into multiple speedlights for studio work, it's more cost effective to invest in monolights.

Hai guys! Long time no see.

Why limit yourself? That's why I have both. I like my Dynalites, but if I'm shooting on location nights and evenings and don't require the light to over power the sun or to shoot larger items at narrower apertures, I like my speedlights. The last session I did was on an abandoned golf course and of course there was a lot of walking involved. I carried two speed lights with triggers and batteries in a zip lock gallon bag (because it was raining off and on) along with triggers and everything I needed packed in a milk crate for the model. This was a lot better than lugging around my Dynalite case and a battery to power everything.

The other bonus for the speedlights is the power control is much finer. The lower power and the 1/3 step controls lets you get pretty precise compared to a larger more powerful light, especially when you don't need all the light. But when you do, you do. Having to combine multiple speedlights to equal the power of just one monolight or light head is just silly unless you absolutely don't have the equipment.

And shooting when you can be plugged in to a wall is a no brainer. Much faster recycle times with unlimited power beats waiting on a flash to recharge and having to change out AA batteries.

Why limit yourself? That's why I have both. I like my Dynalites, but if I'm shooting on location nights and evenings and don't require the light to over power the sun or to shoot larger items at narrower apertures, I like my speedlights. The last session I did was on an abandoned golf course and of course there was a lot of walking involved. I carried two speed lights with triggers and batteries in a zip lock gallon bag (because it was raining off and on) along with triggers and everything I needed packed in a milk crate for the model. This was a lot better than lugging around my Dynalite case and a battery to power everything.

The other bonus for the speedlights is the power control is much finer. The lower power and the 1/3 step controls lets you get pretty precise compared to a larger more powerful light, especially when you don't need all the light. But when you do, you do. Having to combine multiple speedlights to equal the power of just one monolight or light head is just silly unless you absolutely don't have the equipment.

And shooting when you can be plugged in to a wall is a no brainer. Much faster recycle times with unlimited power beats waiting on a flash to recharge and having to change out AA batteries.
Speedlights tend to have adjust-ability in 1/3 stops, my strobes are adjustable in 1/10th of a stop increments, I'd dare say that's more control than a speedlight. ;)

I have 1/10 stop control over my lights...I move the light stand forward or backward an inch or two or three. Boom! There's yer 1/10 f/stop control.

I have 1/10 stop control over my lights...I move the light stand forward or backward an inch or two or three. Boom! There's yer 1/10 f/stop control.

I like to place my light for the quality I want, then adjust the power for the level I want. ;)

If an inch or two makes a difference in "quality", you must have golden eyes to see the difference. But 1/10 stop adjustment does make good sales copy.

If an inch or two makes a difference in "quality", you must have golden eyes to see the difference. But 1/10 stop adjustment does make good sales copy.
For tabletop work it absolutely does. For portrait work it just shows how lazy I am. ;)

I use Nikon speedlights and PCB White Lightning monolights.....often at the same time. You just have to consider the recycle time of the speedlights.

Speedlights tend to have adjust-ability in 1/3 stops, my strobes are adjustable in 1/10th of a stop increments, I'd dare say that's more control than a speedlight. ;)

It may have a greater range, but you have finer ability with a speedlight...well, some speedlights, because of the small range. Being able to adjust it just several w/s at some points.

Most reactions

Back