Speedlites for lighting large group

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I am getting ready to shoot the photos for a wrestling club in about 2 weeks. I just talked to my contact and they want it done in 30-40 minutes so they can immediately run practice. Whew...alright there are 55 kids, about 70% under age 9. I don't expect all of them to show, but I am planning for 50. Shoot is at 6pm, so its dark outside here. The shoot is in the gym (lighting is blah...and fluorescent). I want to use my strobes, but they want to start practice right away in the same gym. So I am thinking of using speedlites to keep out of their way, and keep them happy, but I just don't know if speedlites are going to cut it.

I currently have one 580exII and two 430exII's...just got rid of my second 580 thinking I didnt need it... I plan on shooting from a small ladder, and I was thinking using 3 silver lined umbrellas behind camera straight on. I hate the silver lining ususally, but I am afraid it may not cut it with white. Opinions? I also thought about not using umbrellas at all, and shooting bare. I was planning on 12 people wide 4 deep as I want to add some text above it.

I am not against spending a few hundred to get another 580 if it would make the difference. Thoughts, opinions, questions?

I am only concerned with the team shot, I am shooting both but not worried about lighting the individuals.

How will you vary the height of each of the 4 rows of 12, and how high do your lightstands go?

How will you vary the height of each of the 4 rows of 12, and how high do your lightstands go?

I was thinking one of two ways first choice is the little guys cross legged in row 1, row 2 sitting back on their heels, 3rd row up on their knees, 4th row standing. This is a small gymnasium that they practice in. There is a set of bleachers, but behind them is a bunch of equipment and I am guessing the ambient light would light make it visible since its getting up towards the lights.

For the light stands, I have 1 - 12' stand, and 5 - 10' stands.

You should be more than fine with 3 strobes bounced into umbrellas.I'm doing something similiar with 2 this weekend.

You should be more than fine with 3 strobes bounced into umbrellas.I'm doing something similiar with 2 this weekend.

Think I will need to use silver or can I go without? I can alway bring my ISO up a ways I guess. I don't ofer anything bigger than 8x10 in the packages anyway.

I just picked up a set of 40" softbox shoot through umbrellas, they are pretty cool for they price( 29.95). a lot easier than dragging out the real softboxes. Think 3 of these will supply enough light for 4 rows? The light is pretty diffused through them. I think I'll set them up tonight and experiment a little.

I have seen that article, and as much as I respect Hobby I think all his shots in that article looked like ass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back